Bumblefoot?

Chickalita

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2024
Our salmon favorelle isn’t doing so well. Notice her limping and found her leg deformed. We made an incision for infection and found nothing. We are treating the cut and adding bumblefoot medication and ointment. Please help if anyone has advice. There was no kernel. Not sure if we cut the right spot but this lady is going through it.

Attachments

• BA219A7F-E7A0-4DE0-B1A4-776C6830C8A2.jpeg
    BA219A7F-E7A0-4DE0-B1A4-776C6830C8A2.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 57D02E84-F7E2-491B-9C67-D6FB962DC949.jpeg
    57D02E84-F7E2-491B-9C67-D6FB962DC949.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 10
  • D658558C-82FE-4982-A527-376B7718A411.jpeg
    D658558C-82FE-4982-A527-376B7718A411.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 46394347-4DE2-4DD8-BF8A-5FB46E38C1C4.jpeg
    46394347-4DE2-4DD8-BF8A-5FB46E38C1C4.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 7133B114-4AD5-41F0-91FA-DB52A0BB2F85.jpeg
    7133B114-4AD5-41F0-91FA-DB52A0BB2F85.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 10
I will add our 1 win so far is she seems very calm and the last photo was day 1. You’ll notice some swelling has gone down

Welcome To BYC
Your Other thread is here::::
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumble-foot.1608857/

Looks like the foot may be infected. Which technically would be Bumblefoot I suppose. Bumblefoot is classified as infection of the foot that has entered the foot through an abrasion, cut, etc. etc.

Does she walk flat on her foot pad or more on that toe since her foot is crooked?

If vet care is possible, that's always best.

I would give the foot a good daily soaking in diluted Chlorhexidine. Pat dry, then apply a very thin layer of Triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Wrap and keep her on clean dry bedding.
See if the foot improves with daily care. If it doesn't, then you may need an antibiotic or you can try soaking in Tricide Neo to see it that makes a difference.

Don't cut into the foot anymore, I don't believe it will help.

Welcome To BYC

Looks like the foot may be infected. Which technically would be Bumblefoot I suppose. Bumblefoot is classified as infection of the foot that has entered the foot through an abrasion, cut, etc. etc.

Does she walk flat on her foot pad or more on that toe since her foot is crooked?

I would give the foot a good daily soaking in diluted Chlorhexidine. Pat dry, then apply a very thin layer of Triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Wrap and keep her on clean dry bedding.
See if the foot improves with daily care. If it doesn't, then you may need an antibiotic or you can try soaking in Tricide Neo to see it that makes a difference.

Welcome To BYC

She walks more on the toe since it’s crooked. We’re trying to continue bandaging the cut in a way that sets her foot more correctly. Not sure how often to check her foot and redress the bandage. We’re doing it every day at this point but I feel I might do twice a day. She’s being kept indoors in a warm dry area with straw for bedding. I’m also adding vitamins and electrolytes to her water.

Crooked feet are usually genetic and can't be corrected, so unlikely taping them differently will help and it may be painful as well. Not sure how old she is, but her feet/toes are set the way they always will be.

Once you heal up the foot, then you may need to continue to wrap and or protect that toe throughout her lifetime so it doesn't get sores on it again.

Crooked feet are usually genetic and can't be corrected, so unlikely taping them differently will help and it may be painful as well. Not sure how old she is, but her feet/toes are set the way they always will be.

Once you heal up the foot, then you may need to continue to wrap and or protect that toe throughout her lifetime so it doesn't get sores on it again.
She’s just past 6 months in December. Her legs weren’t splayed from what I know. The crooked toes are a result of the inflammation. Before this she walked on both feet fine.

Back
Top Bottom