Bumblefoot?

Oh threehorses I'm always up to something....Glad you had your own megs chicken first aid kit for the turkey wing. Too funny!!

I'm glad you were able to get her taken care of. I haven't had chickens since I was a kid. Sometime around when Stone Hendge was built. I put a post on line to get information about what I should include in a first aid kit for chickens. threehorses responded with an inncredably useful list and explanations. You should be able to search for it under Emergencies/diseases/injuries and Cures. The title is first aid kit by purpletree23. The last post was yesterday at 1:05 a.m.

Oh I had wondered about the link!
smile.png
I know the feeling!

Here's the mega chicken medical kit. Some things would need to be adjusted for what you have in England. I'll try to put a note where there might be a change*. You should have some good pigeon suppliers in England - that's where I'd check for some of the antibiotic or medicated products. We import meds to here from there that aren't otherwise available without a prescription; so I imagine that your pigeon fanciers likely do the same.

By the way, I bought this stuff over time. Buying it at once can get pricey. But the bigger ticket items I'd buy once a month to stock up as the budget allowed.

Corid (amprolium in a coccidicide strength) AND Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodeium) one for babies, one for adults) *coccidiosis treatments
Probios dispersible powder or Acidophilis capsules (basically lactobacillus bacteria in a powder for use as a probiotic)
A bottle of organic apple cider vinegar
A couple of bottles of babyfood applesauce
LS50 antibiotics (lincomycin/spectinomycin)
Penicillin G Procaine in the fridge (wound antibiotic)

Cuticle scissors (buy good ones - you'll use these to cut off tiny bits of flesh or trim small feathers gently around wounds)
regular scissors or "penny cutting" scissors (great for bandages and splints)
Hydrogen peroxide - a very large bottle
Betadine - a small bottle will do. (iodine, basically)
Neosporin without pain killer (it's like your savlon? An antiseptic creme without any cortisone products and without pain killers)
terramycin ophthalmic ointment (from the feedstore - keep inside)
a spray on like Alucoat or Alushield (horse section, feedstore) (*A spray on aluminum wound shield - contains no medicines)
q-tips
duct tape
popsicle sticks (for application of meds, or for splints for baby chicks)
Paint-stirring sticks (bigger splints)
wrapping gauze
non-stick gauze pads
Maxi-pads (they're clean and absorb a lot of blood from wounds - not joking) (+Feminine protection pads - the large size)
Vet-wrap a plenty! (Buy it from the feedstore - it's cheaper than the pharmacy and it comes in colors to try to make things feel more positive)
Suture material (cat or dog size - see online or at better feedstores)
Hemostats (for suturing or for plucking maggots or feathers)
tweezers
alcohol - a large container
a clean cheap white sheet (to make slings from or cover wounds if necessary)
A GOOD blood clotter like Clotisol (*dont' know if you can get this in England) - vet recommended and non toxic even in the beak, unlike styptics. One small bottle lasts years.
paper towels - you can throw them away, and they're clean.
non-latex gloves in bulk - a box. Sometimes you need to wear two pair.
a news paper (absorbant and makes clean up easier if you have to flush wounds)
Several 3 cc syringes with 22-25 gauge needles
16 gauge needles to replace on the 3 cc syringes if using penicillin
2 10-30cc syringes without needles – for flushing wounds
A toolbox to keep all non-refrigerated items in
Superglue (emergency suture)

Barn supplies:
permethrin dust ("poultry dust")
ivermectin (wormer and delouser) - I prefer drop-on generic.
wazine (piperazine 17% solution - first time wormer)
a smock or something to wear when handling ill birds
a fold up cheap plastic table on which you can treat wounds and then hose off and disinfect
a clip on lamp in case you need direct lighting
an extension cord
a couple of glass jars in which to make iodine solution or keep warm water
a 5 gallon bucket to throw stuff away in that can be disinfected.

That's brilliant, thanks.

Just to add one thing - Ukadex. It's a French product that I found online, and it stops pecking immediately (you may or may not class this sort of thing as an emergency). You only need a small amount (and therefore it lasts a long time), but I found it to be nothing short of miraculous. It's pricey, but worth it
smile.png
Only real downside is that it smells extremely strongly of stale cigarettes - we dosed our hen wearing washing up gloves and old clothes at arms length!!

http://www.regencypoultry.com/heathcare/anti_peck/ukadex_anti_peck_spray.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ukadex-anti-pec...rksid=p3286.m63.l1177&_trkparms=|293:1|294:50

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/acatalog/ukadex_anti_peck_spray.html

LOL seriously? I wouldn't want to peck a stale cigarette either. /grin

Neat! I don't have picking problems (I try to find the underlying reason), but you know how they are. I'll have to check it out.
big_smile.png

By the way, since you're into this, check out Foy's Pigeons if you haven't. they have a lot of Belgium and English products that they import.

(Shhh it's a secret!)

In case you're interested in getting rid of the scab... I just went through treating my Lucy for bumblefoot. I had tried soaking her foot in the epsom salt baths for 20 minutes about four different times and was never able to pick the scab off like you're suppossedly able to do after soaking. A neighbor had suggested that I put banana peel on it(I remembered hearing a while back that that was good for removing warts)... so i figured, what the heck, it won't hurt. I placed a piece of peel(inside side on the scab) and wrapped it with vet wrap overnight and in the morning when I took it off, sure enough, the edges of the scab were lifted so all it took was a 5 minute soak in a warm iodine bath for me to be able to peel the whole scab off.

From there, I applied black salve for a day, and then applied banana peel again for a couple of days which formed another scab to be peeled off. After peeling off the second scab the skin looks really good and healthy.
fl.gif

I have to say that's really anew one for me! I am going to make a note of it because removing scabs ... well let's just say it's a job no one wants to spend much time doing.
big_smile.png

Thank you!

Huh. I wonder what's in the banana that softens the scab. Maybe it's just the constant moisture application from the peel. Dunno...
I have three with bumblefoot currently and I'm working up to cutting the plug out. Perhaps the banana will work better...

Off to buy bananas!

It's the salicylic acid in the peels that works at softening/disolving the tissue. The black salve helps eat up all abnormal tissue and draw out the bad stuff... it's typically used to cure cancer... next to the banana peel, it's pretty amazing stuff too
yippiechickie.gif
. Here's some info on it for anyone who might be interested...

http://11thhourcall.com/salve/info.htm

Another cool thing about the peel, you can use it to keep aphids off your plants and they enrich your soil/plants with potassium. You just cut the peel into peices and bury the peices about 1 inch under the soil around your plants that are getting attacked. I tried this on my cucumber and eggplants and it really works.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom