Bumblefoot?

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
One of my favorite pullets has this on her foot- is it bumblefoot? And if it is, will a drawing salve work or do i need to do the surgery?

24037_foot.gif

The only hen I've ever had with bumblefoot needed no intervention because the lesion's size wasn't large enough- and it went away on its own.

Your situation looks much worse than mine was. I would want to separate the hen into a dog crate inside the coop (so she isn't lonely), and lance that to scrape out the cheesy substance that I have read on BYC forms from the staph infection if it is indeed bumblefoot.

But, you must prep the site with disinfectant, and there is a whole procedure to follow.
Here is the thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649&p=1

OTOH, I am not TOTALLY sure that this is bumblefoot. But boy I wouldn't want to leave that hen like that.

Hopefully more experienced posters will chime in!!!
hugs.gif

I hope your hen feels better soon.

I've had to do a bumblefoot surgery before. The area where the bumblefoot was located was on the bottom of the foot. Looks more like your pullet has an infection on her toe. This does look very similar to bumblefoot. I think, if I were you, I would lance, treat it with some meds and wrap it really good. If you lance it, and nothing comes out, then you may have to cut out the lump, like you would for the bumblefoot.

I use an exacto knife to do that, and it works great. The best way to describe what you do, is to cut it out, just like you would cut a bad spot out of a potato. Insert your knife and go around. Of course I always wash the wound thoroughly before and after, apply some topical ointmint (I used scarlet oil), and wrap with vet wrap, which works great for a chickens foot!

Good luck to you! I wish you were nearby--I'd come over and help!
smile.png

Is she limping on it? If not then use the drawing salve.

If the bird isn't limping on it and it doesn't appear to be infected (which it does not from the pics) then leave it be until it becomes a problem. Operating on it too soon/without reason will just hurt the bird needlessly.

Good luck.

thanks everyone- i soaked her foot, lanced it, packed it with neosporin, kept her in the bathroom and went in and checked periodically through the day- by this evening it had drained to a third of the size, will bring her in in the morning to watch over it and treat it again- she is the friendliest little one- will get more pics tomorow- i am guessing a sticker got infected

24037_muffygirlsm.gif

she looks exactly like my Thelma :) hope that foot got taken care of last year. always dealing with some sort of chicken drama here! I love me chickens.

Back
Top Bottom