bumblefoot

lyssafulmerz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
south western pa
Inspecting feet one hen had what looked to be bumble foot on top side , so I brought her in washed het foot. Dug the mud out but there is a hole all the way through. It isn't hot, there is no kernel thing either, not is it red or scabed up. she was not limping and it doesn't seem to hurt her at all. I put some neosporin on it and wrapped it anyway. She is currently is the house in a cage. Even laid this morning. If this hole is already healed like that, should I not worry about it?

What a weird injury! I wonder what she stepped on to cause that? Good call with the Neosporin - the only thing I would maybe do differently is remove the bandage so that air can flow around the wound. If you have a place where you can isolate her with completely clean bedding, that would be ideal. Does the hole look like it's healed on the inside? Chicken feet are mostly cartilage (from what I understand), so maybe it's the equivalent of an ear piercing. As long as the "sides" of it are healed, maybe it's something she'll always have? Did she do something specific that made you think to check her feet? If it's not bothering her, and doesn't seem infected, hot to the touch, bloody, pus-filled or anything like that, I would just leave it alone and monitor it if the Neosporin doesn't make a difference.

I have her isolated with clean bedding, I was just checking feet since I haven't done it since I got them! But I believe it was pre existing and someone else tried to remove the infection! Ill remove bandage and see

Back
Top Bottom