Bumbles and rainy weather

Well it was my welsh harlequin, who is super light weight, and it was a tiny bumble, caught very early. That said, it worked great - I never soaked, picked, or bandaged and it just went away after a few weeks.

Well it was my welsh harlequin, who is super light weight, and it was a tiny bumble, caught very early. That said, it worked great - I never soaked, picked, or bandaged and it just went away after a few weeks.
Thank you. I have 4 pekins, and had no idea about bumblefoot. I am going to give this a try. One is limping, but the others aren't as bad, so hoping this will work great!!

Thank you. I have 4 pekins, and had no idea about bumblefoot. I am going to give this a try. One is limping, but the others aren't as bad, so hoping this will work great!!
Pekins are especially prone as they are heavy weight birds. Maybe you want to post a picture of the bumble and ask for advice. If it's a large one you probably need to pull the scab after soaking in epsom salts. I also have pekins and have had two with bumbles, which have been larger than the ones on my smaller birds.

Pekins are especially prone as they are heavy weight birds. Maybe you want to post a picture of the bumble and ask for advice. If it's a large one you probably need to pull the scab after soaking in epsom salts. I also have pekins and have had two with bumbles, which have been larger than the ones on my smaller birds.
Yeah, we soaked their feet, and tried to pull the scabs off. They are soft and brown discolored. Some of it came off, and left a hole on one side of our boy. Just makes us feel so bad for them. I am pretty sure three of them will be fine with the brush, and the boy we might have to keep one foot bandaged. He is limping on that one. It is going to be 113 here this week, and I just can't imagine their feet being covered. We took their water away, so they need to be able to stay cool.

My other question is, how long can they go without getting in water? I am reading about feather issues due to water not being available to bathe in. It is going to be HOT here this week.

After you remove a scab and pack it with the triple antibiotic and bandage for a couple days, the scab area should be healed over enough that you could let your duck bathe in clean water. Then you could re-bandage if needed. I don't like to let me ducks go more than 2-3 days without swimming, but I know some duck owners don't even have ponds, so ducks will survive. But that is really hot and I would want my duck to cool down as well.

I gave up on bandages right quick! This was the process recommended to me by a vet. Just use antiseptic worked in with an old tooth brush. Hold the bird for 5 minuets to let it work then let it go. It works so well i was surprised. If you have 1 duck with bumble wrap feet to your hearts content. I had about 8 and half had two feet. I had to look for other ways because it was taking 2 hours to wrap all the feet once, not to mention non trivial amounts of money on gauze.
Did you soak the feet, and how many times a day? I have 4 with small issues, but 3 with both feet. Been soaking twice a day in salts, rubbing spots with iodine and using the toothbrush with antiseptic. I was quite surprised at how well it worked. The worst foot is almost completely healed in under 2 weeks. I was just wondering if soaking and applying once a day is enough. It's very time consuming, and they aren't actually infected. I am so grateful for the toothbrush advice.....lol

Did you soak the feet, and how many times a day? I have 4 with small issues, but 3 with both feet. Been soaking twice a day in salts, rubbing spots with iodine and using the toothbrush with antiseptic. I was quite surprised at how well it worked. The worst foot is almost completely healed in under 2 weeks. I was just wondering if soaking and applying once a day is enough. It's very time consuming, and they aren't actually infected. I am so grateful for the toothbrush advice.....lol
I dont soak, just hold the bird for a few minuets after applying the iodine. The soaking is probably helpful but you could probably do it every other day and still get good results. Once a day application of antiseptic is fine. The beauty of the no bandage method is you can treat as your schedule allows. There have been times when i was super busy, i could only treat once a week. I did that for a month and one duck actually healed on that regimen and the other needed two weeks of every other day to heal up.

Back
Top Bottom