Bumps on a Guinea's beak (pic)

Transit, I sympathize with you not wanting to see things killed, but if it comes to killing one animal who is sick or watching your whole flock slowly suffer and die, I'm sorry, but off with their head.

I assume CMV and you would both probably agree that one quick death is far more humane than the whole flock of birds dying slowly. Altho I don't knpw much about the disease and how much suffering it inflicts, you do have to think about the long term good.
Yes, I do agree.

But in some cases, finches have been know to get Canker and end up just fine, Canker gone.

Well we already took care of the two that were sick. Now 2 days later one of the two remaining ones has a bump developing. I am planning on selling eggs (eventually) so I cannot afford to have my laying hens get sick. I really hate to have to put them down, but I cant take the risk. I will just have to wait on the guineas for a bit. Definately going to find a reputable source when I am ready to tackle them again.

:C

Try the Murry McMurry hatchery, all my chickens come from there, and Iv'e never had a single problem.
They might have Guineas, too.

:C

Last edited:
Just thought I would share this article. This is caused by a parasite that is transmitted beak to beak contact or through shared waterers and feeders. This is the article that sealed the deal for us. The guys that gave us the guineas also raised doves and pigeons...go figure. He is out of town so we havent been able to get word to him about the situation.

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/chapter_25.pdf

i would reccomend ideal hatchery. they are a nice company and have great reliable staff. I ordered an order of 11 chickens and they were all healthy and sexed properly. very reliable and nice staff workers. They arent as big as mcmurray but i found them better quality. and i know that ideal has guineas for sale!!! thanks ideal hatchery for your amazing buisness!!!!!

I like Ideal. I have gotten my turkeys from them. The bonus is that they are here in TX and I get them with 24 hours of shipping. If I am up for a road trip ( They are between me and Ft Hood where my son is stationed) I can go pick them up. right now though shipping is cheaper than gas.

Back
Top Bottom