Bumps on a Guinea's beak (pic)

urban escapee

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Alvin, TX
I have 4 guinea keets in quarantine right now (new animals). I noticed this morning that 2 of them have bumps on their faces and beaks. Since this is my first time having guineas I am not sure what I am looking at or how to treat it (if at all). This one is worse than the other bird. Any input would be appreciated.

I think it might be canker. Do not let them near your flock. I would cull them or return them to wherever you got them from.

Sorry.

I agree with CMV, canker. It's contageous. You can treat them metronidazole 250mg once a day for 5 days. It can be purchased online as "Fishzole." You will have to use copper sulfate in waterers once a month for a few days to keep it in check. (If you decide to keep them.) I'd cull. Keep biosecurity in mind.

So should we go ahead and cull the other two birds that are not showing any symptoms? They are all in the same pen together. While a bit sad, I didnt pay for the birds, one of my husbands employees gave them to him at no charge. I am just glad that I nagged him into setting up a quarantine pen for them.

Back
Top Bottom