Please help funny bump on cheek (no gross pics without warning)

Goose_the_cat

❤️Cats❤️Rats❤️
Aug 16, 2022
Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
I recently noticed that my 1yr old silkie hen named Ester had a blueberry sized bump on her cheek, it is not very noticeable from the top or side because of her SiLkIE fRo so I am not sure how long its been there. We recently changed their bedding to a finer kind thinking it would be more absorbent (since there water container leaks/tips quite frequently) we also changed their food to a more high quality kind and it has been getting colder every night (not going lower than 20 degrees F though) She is not lethargic or drinking/eating irregularly (which is. Why I took so long to notice) please help in any way you can and here are some pics

IMG_3063.jpeg IMG_3054.jpeg

I recently noticed that my 1yr old silkie hen named Ester had a blueberry sized bump on her cheek, it is not very noticeable from the top or side because of her SiLkIE fRo so I am not sure how long its been there. We recently changed their bedding to a finer kind thinking it would be more absorbent (since there water container leaks/tips quite frequently) we also changed their food to a more high quality kind and it has been getting colder every night (not going lower than 20 degrees F though) She is not lethargic or drinking/eating irregularly (which is. Why I took so long to notice) please help in any way you can and here are some pics

Can you get a photo of her eye too?

Is the inside of her beak clean with no mucous, canker or pasty material?

Is there a bad odor?

Hard to tell if it's sinus or eye infection or something else. From what I can see, her eye is weepy or watery, I'd begin by flushing the eye with saline to remove any debris, apply a warm compress to the bump and see if there's any pus that can be pushed out of it through the eye.
Terramcyin eye ointment can be put into the eye.

I'll tag in @Eggcessive to see if she has any suggestions/thoughts.

Have you added any new birds recently or ever had respiratory illness/symptoms in your flock before (runny nostrils, coughing, etc.)?

Can you get a better picture of her right side of the face in good light? The mass is near the sinus, so I would agree that it could be sinus infection, canker inside her mouth, or a cyst/tumor. Tumors are very common in chickens. Does it feel soft or firm? The bubbles in the eye does point more to a respiratory sinus infection. I would get some Tylosin online just to have it in time to treat it. Here is where I have found Tylosin:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Can you get a photo of her eye too?

Is the inside of her beak clean with no mucous, canker or pasty material?

Is there a bad odor?

Hard to tell if it's sinus or eye infection or something else. From what I can see, her eye is weepy or watery, I'd begin by flushing the eye with saline to remove any debris, apply a warm compress to the bump and see if there's any pus that can be pushed out of it through the eye.
Terramcyin eye ointment can be put into the eye.

I'll tag in @Eggcessive to see if she has any suggestions/thoughts.

Have you added any new birds recently or ever had respiratory illness/symptoms in your flock before (runny nostrils, coughing, etc.)?
Can you get a better picture of her right side of the face in good light? The mass is near the sinus, so I would agree that it could be sinus infection, canker inside her mouth, or a cyst/tumor. Tumors are very common in chickens. Does it feel soft or firm? The bubbles in the eye does point more to a respiratory sinus infection. I would get some Tylosin online just to have it in time to treat it. Here is where I have found Tylosin:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Thank you guys, I will try and get more pics when I go over there so hang tight and I will check her mouth too (any advice on how to check her mouth though)

You may want to get a helper to hold her wrapped in a towel so that you can use your hands to open the beak and shine a flashlight inside pictures there can help if you see something unusual.

Back
Top Bottom