Chickens have Cocci....Corid not working

guinea19

Hatching
Aug 5, 2023
Hello! I have two chickens that have cocci. Both hens are less than 6 months old. I lost a guinea fowl keet to this a few months ago. I didn't know what it was at the time and by the time I figured it out, I lost my keet. My chickens have been healthy other than just that one guinea keet until now. I noticed one of my golden laced wyandotte's looking all cocci like about a month ago. I have been treating her with corid orally and putting it in the drinking water. She has been through a spell where she gets better then worse, better and worse, better and worse. Now her growth seems stunted and her symptoms are getting worse. I had my guinea keets in a box with the wyandottes when they were chicks. I'm thinking the cocci came from the wyandottes. I haven't had any issues with any other chickens or chicks. I got back into have chickens back in the spring. I have not seen any bloody poops. I have seen runny poops, but I cannot narrow it down to which chickens its coming from.

My other sick chicken is a buff brahma. She started showings signs last week. I separated these two birds last weekend, put cord in their water, and started giving them 2 doses of corid daily this week. Neither are better and both seem to be getting worse. No other chickens or guineas are sick. I am at a loss. My poor wyandotte looks like her growth may be stunted if she does survive this. I don't want to lose my chickens. Does anyone have any suggestions for this issue?

I did put my girls back in with the other chickens this evening. They were so upset to be separated and wasn't getting better anyway.

What feed are you using?
What treats and how much are they getting?

Can you take a stool sample to the vet?
They can run a fecal float test to be sure it's coccidiosis or perhaps other worms.

Even a dog/cat vet can run the test on bird droppings. They can't tell you what to treat with (or won't tell) but they CAN run the test and tell you what if anything is in there.

Edited to add.....
Gather droppings from as many in the flock as possible. Mix those in a plastic zippy bag and take that sample to the vet. You will get a read on the entire flock that way with just one charge.

Last edited:
Hello! I have two chickens that have cocci. Both hens are less than 6 months old. I lost a guinea fowl keet to this a few months ago. I didn't know what it was at the time and by the time I figured it out, I lost my keet. My chickens have been healthy other than just that one guinea keet until now. I noticed one of my golden laced wyandotte's looking all cocci like about a month ago. I have been treating her with corid orally and putting it in the drinking water. She has been through a spell where she gets better then worse, better and worse, better and worse. Now her growth seems stunted and her symptoms are getting worse. I had my guinea keets in a box with the wyandottes when they were chicks. I'm thinking the cocci came from the wyandottes. I haven't had any issues with any other chickens or chicks. I got back into have chickens back in the spring. I have not seen any bloody poops. I have seen runny poops, but I cannot narrow it down to which chickens its coming from.

My other sick chicken is a buff brahma. She started showings signs last week. I separated these two birds last weekend, put cord in their water, and started giving them 2 doses of corid daily this week. Neither are better and both seem to be getting worse. No other chickens or guineas are sick. I am at a loss. My poor wyandotte looks like her growth may be stunted if she does survive this. I don't want to lose my chickens. Does anyone have any suggestions for this issue?

I did put my girls back in with the other chickens this evening. They were so upset to be separated and wasn't getting better anyway.
Hi I don’t know anything about this topic but I hope your chickens get better

Hi I don’t know anything about this topic but I hope your chickens get better
That is sweet of you. That's the nice thing about BYC is it's so full of knowledge and knowledgeable people, but having thoughtful people like you also helps make BYC the greatest place for poultry lovers. :love

That is sweet of you. That's the nice thing about BYC is it's so full of knowledge and knowledgeable people, but having thoughtful people like you also helps make BYC the greatest place for poultry lovers. :love
Thanks it means Al lot because compared to the experiences people on here sometimes it’s hard not being able to help and basically be useless

What feed are you using?
What treats and how much are they getting?

Can you take a stool sample to the vet?
They can run a fecal float test to be sure it's coccidiosis or perhaps other worms.

Even a dog/cat vet can run the test on bird droppings. They can't tell you what to treat with (or won't tell) but they CAN run the test and tell you what if anything is in there.

Edited to add.....
Gather droppings from as many in the flock as possible. Mix those in a plastic zippy bag and take that sample to the vet. You will get a read on the entire flock that way with just one charge.
I feed a mix of laying crumbles and scratches. Treats are spinach and grass.

Back
Top Bottom