Bumps on face - doesn't look like pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clucknark, Dec 1, 2013.

1. clucknark

clucknark Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    I have had dry pox in my flock and there are still a few mature birds with scabs. I have never had chicks or younger juveniles with pox, but I have a few chicks in one brooder that have bumps on their faces. They don't look like typical pox to me, so I'm hoping that someone can shed a little light on this.

The bumps are localized to the face. I do have one chick with some type of nodule on the upper part of his crop and I have included a picture of that as well. I was concerned about a possible respiratory infection, but there are no discernible signs (wheezing, gasping, rasping, clicking, crackling, or heavy breathing). The chicks seem fine other than the bumps. They are acting normally so far - no lethargy, have good appetites, and have normal poop.

I have had poultry for a few years and have never had chicks with pox or any other disease or illness besides cocci. Any ideas?

Excuse the messy chick - I pulled him out of the feed bowl. :). His eye is closed in the pic but he can open it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the nodule/bump on his crop.
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The first picture looks like the eye is fairly swollen which usually makes me think respiratory infection. But all of those bumps have the yellow scabs kind of like pox missing the brown tops. Fowl pox can get into the eyes causing secondary infections, so I would be tempted to start them on some oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA 280) or erythromycin in the water. Links to meds if you can't find them at your feed store:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/tetroxy-hca/camid/LIV/cp/MOB-T1/cn/3502/
    http://www.jefferspet.com/gallimycin-powder/camid/LIV/cp/WJ-G5/cn/3502/

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like there might be pus in them lumps... I'd try lancing and removing it.

-Kathy

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

5. clucknark

Sep 22, 2013
    I am going to try to lance the bumps and put antibiotics in the water. I had to order antibiotics as there is nowhere locally that sells them. Should I put anything on them (after lancing) in the meantime?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Betadine and maybe neosporin.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Be very careful when you do the one on the crop, 'cause you don't want a hole from the outside into the crop. Make sense?

-Kathy

8. clucknark

Sep 22, 2013
    Yes, thanks! I'm a bit nervous about lancing them in the first place. I'm scared to apply too much pressure and I'm not sure what I am going to use for a lance that will be easy to control while holding a chick. I don't have a surgical lance.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I've used a plain-ole x-acto blade. Beware, the one on the face will probably bleed a lot, lol.

-Kathy

10. clucknark

Sep 22, 2013
    Yikes, I guess I should make sure I have a styptic pencil on hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by