Bumpy and thin eggs

Sagebrush

Chirping
Aug 2, 2015
I have a 1 year old BR laying fragile and bumpy eggs for the last week or so. The other girls the same age are laying fine egg, including the other BR.
I also have pullets just laying and a young rooster who was supposed to be a pullet. Surprise!

This BR tolerates him but the other older girls will have none of it.

I've also begin letting them out to free range in the afternoon in recent weeks. They do get a good quality layer feed. I add oyster shell from time to time to their food but not with every fill up.
All of them appear healthy and happy.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated .

It could possibly be the heat. Has it been hotter than usual the past week? Also you shouldn't really add oyster shells to their feed. You keep it in a seperate container and let them choose how much they need. Each hen will need a different amount of calcium and that's why you should let them eat it free choice.

It has been a bit warm lately. I just started adding the oyster shell here and there because of another's advice. The layer feed has plenty of calcium and they are getting plenty of greens. I"m thinking she's getting a bit much of a good thing. She is kind of a piglet but then again, they all are!
1f603.png

I'll lay off the grit and see what happens. It's weird it's only her though.
Thanks for the advice!

Uh oh. I just checked Winifred, my BR and she has a bald spot on her head! She laid an egg today that was smooth and harder but the very top was soft and not completely covered in a shell. I don't see any other feathers missing but I haven't been able to catch her to closely inspect her. I will say the rooster we have is on her frequently. Mu husband said he had her completely pinned to the ground yesterday and he had to chase him off. Could it be the rooster or perhaps mites?

Your hen could possibly be molting which would explain the bald spot and maybe the bad egg quality. But molting hens usually stop laying. Most likely the rooster is pecking the feathers off of her head when he mounts her. Also why would you stop feeding them grit?

That's what I was thinking. I have 2 BRs, and was only getting an egg here and there for awhile. I think she actually stopped laying for a bit and is now just starting again.When I wrote grit I meant oyster shell. I grew up in Florida and my dad was a commercial fisherman. He ground oyster shells for our chickens and he always called it grit. I realize for chicken enthusiasts they are two different things but I still slip into that from to time.
1f609.png

I just checked Winifred and she has no other areas including her vent or under her wings, no scratching either and no sign of bugs in the coop.

I think it's the roo.

Sorry I misunderstood you about the grit/oyster shells. Glad you figured it out. Her body may just need some time to adjust to laying again after molting. Might want to put some no pick lotion on her head to see if that will help stop your roo from pecking.

Last edited:
No apologies necessary. I used a regional idiom that wasn't clear.
Good idea about the cream. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Thanks for the dialogue. It always helps to talk to someone else with more knowledge.

Have a great evening!

Back
Top Bottom