Bumpy Eggs

SandiDonn

Chirping
Feb 10, 2015
Greetings: We lost a Golden Comet hen for two days and two nights with temps below zero. We found her trapped behind a bucket in the garden shed where she couldn't move. She had a prolapsed vent. We nursed her back to health and she started laying again after a week. But, her eggs have a bumpy spot about the size of quarter on the side. Previously, she had laid perfectly smooth eggs.

Is the bumpiness something we should be concerned about? Is there anything we can do to help her make smooth eggs again? Is there any reason not to eat the bumpy shelled eggs?

My wife and I are new to chicken raising and would appreciate any sage advice you can offer.

what is the bumpy part made of, shell? If so, there should be no problem. If the inside looks ok, then it should be ok, It could be a deposit of calcium on the shell. As I said if the inside looks ok, then they should be good to eat. I am not sure there is anything you can do to help her lay smooth eggs again. Then again she may on her own at some point go back to laying them smooth again.

I guess it's possible she has some scarring from the prolapse, and that's causing some shell irregularities. No problem for her, as a rule, and no issue with eating those eggs. It may smooth out as she continues to recover, or she may always lay unique eggs.

Thanks, we will check out the inside, but as we have been saving eggs so we will have some when the chickens "slow down in winter" we have 5 dozen back eggs to catch up with. Ours have continued to lay 1 a day since we got them in August. Thanks again.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom