Bunch of FREE LOADERS!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Sep 10, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

I am the not so proud owner of a large flock of FREE LOADING POULTY!!!

Ack, I've gotten that out now.

Seriously though, I am going to have to cut my flock dramatically, I cannot do this anymore financially.
    My husband is working two jobs and we are going through a $15, 50 pound bag of grain every 4 DAYS!
    It's over $100 A MONTH to feed these guys and I am getting almost NO eggs. This morning I got 1 egg. Yesterday I got two.

What a mess!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Hang in there....they need breaks now & then, too! Mine were on a bit of a hiatus recently, but they seem to be just starting back up - hopefully, yours will, too!

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    $15?!

Wow...and I felt bad paying $9 for "specialty" feed.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Yep, the feed here goes for between $15 and $20 a bag. Awful!

5. Dandy Acres

Dandy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Do you give vegie scraps and bugs and other free food? My scratch comes from brewery waste too.

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I am getting rid of a free free loaders myself. I just can't afford to feed a hen that doesn't lay eggs or go broody for me either. I am taking her to her new pet home this weekend as she is a silky.

7. Quote:Yeah here's hoping but it's been like this all year long, I keep waiting but no one is laying, they were for a bit but I think these hens are just getting up there and on their way out plus I have a bunch of pullets who aren't old enough yet... So I think it's time to sell off the older girls as pets or soemthing...

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    WOW, that's alot on feed! do you have any feed mills close by? Wish you the best of luck [​IMG]

Darn free loaders [​IMG]

there is always chicken and dumplings

Oh and my feed is $15, i feel ya! Just found a feed mill.......$9 bucks [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    How old are the hens, Jenna? Are you certain they're not hiding eggs or eating them?

10. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Around here, I go to the feed mill, but grain is still $13/bag (layena) the only other place is TSC & I REFUSE to buy food from there! It's as expensive (if not a little more actually), and it's not as good quality [​IMG] IDK, maybe I'll try the feed mill's chicken feed... I know my BA's were given that before I got them, and it didn't go over so well, so I haven't gotten any... Oh, [​IMG]

Hope you find your girls good homes, or that they start laying again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by