1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bunch of kids but new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mamalovescoffee, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mamalovescoffee

mamalovescoffee Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Lawrence, KS
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Totally new to chickens (although I did take a poultry science class at K-State back in the day). I'm here to start learning before I start spending money & making helpless birds miserable.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    None

(3) What breeds do you have?
    None, but I'm interested in learning which breeds are best suited to our area.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I'm a SAHM, so I get to wear all the hats: teacher, interior designer, painter, plumber, appliance repair lady, gardener, laundress…

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    We have five kids, 7mo–11y, and we homeschool, so the kids are very much a part of the great chicken adventure to come. For a long time we had four cats and two dogs, but each in its own time grew old and died so I'm animal-less for the first time since grade school. I've considered chickens on & off over the years, so this might be the year I actually jump in and do it.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mamalovescoffee [​IMG] Welcome!

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Finally, you might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

You have definitely come to the right place if you want some encouragement to take the chicken plunge! I say go for it!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great links from Teila already so I'll just say hello and wish you and your family all the best with your forthcoming chicken adventure.

All the best
    CT

4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here! Former Kansan here, now in WY. You should do pretty well with just about any of the dual purpose birds but one of our regular greeters, @redsoxs , that also lives in KS should be along and he might be able to give you more specific advice (I never raised chickens while living there).

Raising poultry is a wonderful hobby for the entire family, your kids should enjoy it a lot.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from a fellow Kansan and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! BYC is a great and supportive environment in which to learn the ropes of chicken keeping. Hope you take the plunge! Best wishes and thanks for joining us!! [​IMG]

8. mamalovescoffee

mamalovescoffee Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Lawrence, KS
    Thank you all for the warm & encouraging welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by