Bunch of kids but new to chickens

mamalovescoffee

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2017
Lawrence, KS
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Totally new to chickens (although I did take a poultry science class at K-State back in the day). I'm here to start learning before I start spending money & making helpless birds miserable.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None

(3) What breeds do you have?
None, but I'm interested in learning which breeds are best suited to our area.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm a SAHM, so I get to wear all the hats: teacher, interior designer, painter, plumber, appliance repair lady, gardener, laundress…

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have five kids, 7mo–11y, and we homeschool, so the kids are very much a part of the great chicken adventure to come. For a long time we had four cats and two dogs, but each in its own time grew old and died so I'm animal-less for the first time since grade school. I've considered chickens on & off over the years, so this might be the year I actually jump in and do it.

G’Day from down under mamalovescoffee
frow.gif
Welcome!

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Finally, you might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

You have definitely come to the right place if you want some encouragement to take the chicken plunge! I say go for it!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great links from Teila already so I'll just say hello and wish you and your family all the best with your forthcoming chicken adventure.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

It's nice to have you here! Former Kansan here, now in WY. You should do pretty well with just about any of the dual purpose birds but one of our regular greeters, @redsoxs , that also lives in KS should be along and he might be able to give you more specific advice (I never raised chickens while living there).

Raising poultry is a wonderful hobby for the entire family, your kids should enjoy it a lot.

Greetings from a fellow Kansan and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! BYC is a great and supportive environment in which to learn the ropes of chicken keeping. Hope you take the plunge! Best wishes and thanks for joining us!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom