Bunnies and Chickens - Do they work well together?

Can Bunnies and chickens get along?

• Total voters
I keep some bunnies in my shed, but they are in a separate area. The chickens do watch them, but I don't think the chickens would like the bunnies running amok, but they may get used to it.
I have the bunnies running around the barn but there are spots the chickens can get in and they yell for their friends:)

People keep trying putting rabbits and chickens together. With some, the chickens harmed the rabbits, for others, the rabbits hurt the chickens, yet others have had the two species simply ignoring each other, and a few have had chickens and rabbits that actually seem to enjoy each others' company. There is no telling how it will play out until it does, though being aware of the risks going in is a good idea.

People keep trying putting rabbits and chickens together. With some, the chickens harmed the rabbits, for others, the rabbits hurt the chickens, yet others have had the two species simply ignoring each other, and a few have had chickens and rabbits that actually seem to enjoy each others' company. There is no telling how it will play out until it does, though being aware of the risks going in is a good idea.
Good to know

I've done it at different times and never had either harm the other.
I've had them ignore each other and tolerate each other but I wouldn't ever say they were being friends.

I have a funny Rabbit (wild), Chicken, Cat story. Wild Rabbits often feast on Plantains in the yard, They are completely oblivious to the chickens which is odd considering how easily a rabbit can get spooked and take off. So one wild rabbit hopped towards my Chickens scratching around in the back. This caused the chickens to run away in terror. So the chickens came running towards the cats who were up by the house and couldn't see the rabbits due to an enormous compost pile. At this time my chickens had a habit of chasing the cats because the cats will not harm any live stock I have. They took this as a weakness and as the cats ran in the direction the chickens came from to get away from the chickens who ended chasing the cats back past the compost pile where the rabbit was. Then my male cat saw one of the rabbits and started chasing the Rabbit. It was a real life rock paper scissors game. The Chickens stopped stalking the cats this summer when my male cat caught a wild bird right in front of them and tore it to pieces without mercy. The chickens started making those noises that they make when one of them gets disturbed. But for about a year they tormented the cats who could easily kill chickens if they were hungry.

As far as keeping rabbits and chickens together, I never had them occupy the same space but I have kept rabbit cages inside of coops in a set up where the rabbit Manure landed in the deep litter with a dirt floor coop, and the urine would get caught in a trap I made and exit the coop. Chickens love scratching through rabbit manure because of all the bugs and earth worms it attracts. I would imagine they could live in harmony ignoring each other but I bet a large chicken would eat baby rabbits if the mother doesn't have a the nest underground where chickens can't get to them.

I didn't cast a vote because I think it depends on: tame vs wild bunnies, space available, chicken personalities.

The wild cottontail bunnies live all around my barn (3 more babies weaned about 5 days ago...) and learned to use the pedal (treadle) feeders before my hens did! They eat chicken feed that gets billed out of the hanging chicken feeders, and these bunnies have learned how to stand on their hind legs and drink out of the chicken waterers.

Once my hens got used to seeing them everywhere, and seeing how the bunnies play and zip around, they all seem to co-habit the barn and surrounding area pretty much without incident. My hens free-range during the day, and I don't let the bunnies stay inside the chicken runs overnight.

If one of my girls is eating her morning treat and a bunny gets too close, she'll give bunny the 'stink eye' :mad: just long enough for the bunny to retreat. Very interesting how the bunnies have learned the very subtle chicken body language. I have yet to see a bunny challenge or try to attack any of my hens, but I have seen Bertha peck a bunny on the head!

Back
Top Bottom