Bunny and cold temps

Sunnymommy

Chirping
Jul 8, 2017
This is our first winter with an outdoor bunny in a hutch. He has a small space filled with straw, a sorta "hidey hole". The next 2 days are going to stay below zero, down to about -10 or -15. Should i bring him into our basement? Anyone experienced with outdoor rabbits?

Leave him outside. Rabbits are well adapted to handle the cold. It would probably over heat in your house. Just make sure winds are blocked, and there's lots of hay. Also warm water at least 2 times a day. You can also offer some treats in winter. Mine like a bit of black oil sunflower seeds, and rolled oatmeal fed dry.

We raise standard rex rabbits and generally I leave them outside for everything. With that being said we are having crazy weather this week so we moved them. Normally here the coldest we reach is in the single digit negatives. Well tomorrow for example is going to be a high of zero and really strong winds. We had tarps up around where they usually are but if one were to blow down it could be deadly. We moved them into our garage for a couple days just because its windproof and ever so slightly warmer than outside (nothing significant).

I do agree that moving them inside completely will likely cause them to over heat. The biggest issue with rabbits is the wind. If you have them in a wind tight area I wouldn't worry too much about the cold. You can give them extra hay and straw if you're really worried.

Yeah temp is going to be maybe 10 belowish but wind supposed to be -60. His hidey lean to is full of straw and out of wind. But the rest of the hutch is not - has mesh bottom and cracks between walls and ceiling. He has to come out to eat and drink. Water has electric warmer. We wouldn't bring him in the house. Was thinking maybe garage.

Yeah temp is going to be maybe 10 belowish but wind supposed to be -60. His hidey lean to is full of straw and out of wind. But the rest of the hutch is not - has mesh bottom and cracks between walls and ceiling. He has to come out to eat and drink. Water has electric warmer. We wouldn't bring him in the house. Was thinking maybe garage.

My buns are happy in the garage. Its still cold but no wind. We don't use the garage for cars or anything so we don't have to worry about fumes either. This is the first time weather was bad enough to bring them in for us.

Back
Top Bottom