Bunny balding

Vitello22

Hatching
Feb 9, 2021
Does anyone know why my bunny could be balding on the top of his head? He is a little under a year old and neutered. He lives with a girl bunny and had lots of room. She does seem to be licking the bald spot a lot.
9B75CD04-FFAD-414C-9484-0850F40E6F30.jpeg
013B0911-D9C5-472E-B04E-C9BFCCFD951E.jpeg

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens!
This is called barbering. I found an article on it.

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/rabbit-grooming-behavior/

Oftentimes, you’ll find that a dominant rabbit barbers the submissive partner. Alternatively, a submissive rabbit may be making a play for dominance. There are other possible explanations, though. These include stress and boredom.

Barbering cannot be ignored. Do not leave the rabbits to sort this issue out by themselves. It can eventually lead to serious or permanent damage. If nothing else, it will make the recipient miserable.

Think about the cause of the behavior and seek to eradicate it. Move your pets into a bigger hutch. Provide more hay. Fill the hutch with toys, and offer more opportunities to exercise outside.

If none of this works, it suggests that your rabbits cannot live together. This is unfortunate, and comparatively rare, but it can happen. Even bonded rabbits fall out of love on occasion. This is especially likely if the power dynamic shifts.

If the barbering does not stop, no matter what you try, separate the rabbits. If you can, invest in two hutches. You may find that, when not living together, the animals get along just fine. You can eventually attempt to re-bond the rabbits.

I'm not sure what setup you have, but I recommend free roaming. Its pretty easy, all you have to do if a bit of bunny proofing. If you are unable to free roam a wire dog playpen works great as it provides space for all their needs and they can still exercise in there.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens!
This is called barbering. I found an article on it.

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/rabbit-grooming-behavior/

Oftentimes, you’ll find that a dominant rabbit barbers the submissive partner. Alternatively, a submissive rabbit may be making a play for dominance. There are other possible explanations, though. These include stress and boredom.

Barbering cannot be ignored. Do not leave the rabbits to sort this issue out by themselves. It can eventually lead to serious or permanent damage. If nothing else, it will make the recipient miserable.

Think about the cause of the behavior and seek to eradicate it. Move your pets into a bigger hutch. Provide more hay. Fill the hutch with toys, and offer more opportunities to exercise outside.

If none of this works, it suggests that your rabbits cannot live together. This is unfortunate, and comparatively rare, but it can happen. Even bonded rabbits fall out of love on occasion. This is especially likely if the power dynamic shifts.

If the barbering does not stop, no matter what you try, separate the rabbits. If you can, invest in two hutches. You may find that, when not living together, the animals get along just fine. You can eventually attempt to re-bond the rabbits.

I'm not sure what setup you have, but I recommend free roaming. Its pretty easy, all you have to do if a bit of bunny proofing. If you are unable to free roam a wire dog playpen works great as it provides space for all their needs and they can still exercise in there.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Thank you very much I will definitely try some of those things!! Sadly my parents won’t allow free roam.

Thank you very much I will definitely try some of those things!! Sadly my parents won’t allow free roam.
You are welcome! I understand, my parents dont want me to have indoor rabbits even. But I'm going to build them their own house (no I'm not joking).
Are you able to let them exercise in your room? That will help with any pent up energy and boredom that could cause over grooming.
And maybe show your parents Lennon the Bunny on YouTube. She has lots of rabbit info that may help convince your parents to pet you free roam.

You are welcome! I understand, my parents dont want me to have indoor rabbits even. But I'm going to build them their own house (no I'm not joking).
Are you able to let them exercise in your room? That will help with any pent up energy and boredom that could cause over grooming.
And maybe show your parents Lennon the Bunny on YouTube. She has lots of rabbit info that may help convince your parents to pet you free roam.
Thats awesome! And yes they are in my room often. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom