BUNNY HELP!!!!

Equest94

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
New York
My roommate brought her bunny to college with her....he lost a lot of weight at home after being housed with a guinea pig who ate all the food, so she brought him with her for some fattening up.

His name is Torpedo and he's a 2 year old Dawf rabbit. He's very cute, smart, and well mannered. He's very curious and pretty energetic and has been adjusting well to college life and good eating.

Well, this morning as my roommate went to clean his cage and feed him, she noticed something was not right with him. He would randomly fall over and either not get up or have trouble getting up. He still manages to hop around, eat, drink, and can even stand up on his hind legs, but if we gently bump him in the side, he falls over. He's also been uncharacteristically vocal...chucks and moans a lot. Other than the balance problem, he seems very normal and healthy. He was fine last night...no problems whatsoever, so this issue sprang up very quickly.

Any ideas of what is wrong and/or what we can do?

Thanks in advance

i dont know..heres a bump up...poor bunny...
sad.png

I know many people on here have rabbits...please, someone help.

And before everyone recommends taking him to a vet...the closest office is 40 mins away...we called, but they can't take him today...

Does anyone have any idea of what's wrong? He actually hopped over my leg, but when you gently push him he falls right over and can't get up...

sorry...we're just really worried...

There could be a number of things:
Dehydration- try childrens pedilyte or a type of bounce back water supplement from a feed store.

Spinal Injury- would need xrays by a vet

Worms or other disease- again a vet.

If he is eating and drinking well make an appointment with your vet, if he stops eating you need to get him to an emergency after hours vet office or look in the phonebook...alot of vets will come to you!! Good Luck and keep us posted!!

If he is being very vocal, he is most likely in a great deal of pain. You will need to take him to a rabbit vet, or an emergency animal clinic if the vet isn't available.
It could be many things from poisoning to an ear infection - it's hard to tell from afar...
Another thought: Does your college have a veterinary school or animal sciences unit? If you can't get to a vet quickly you may be able to get help from a professor...

Last edited:
Thank you to you both for a quick response.... and to Chickbea for your suggestions.

Unfortunately he didn't make it...he passed away this morning on the way to a vet's office.

Currently we are in an undergraduate program and our University doesn't offer specific studies such a veterinary studies. Yesterday my roommate and I spent numerous hours contacting vet hospitals in hopes that someone would be able to give us an idea of what's wrong or what should be done. NO ONE helped...they refused to give any advice whatsoever because that bunny was not a patient of theirs. They transferred our calls from clinic to clinic and no one was kind enough to even listen to his symptoms. The two veterinary clinics that are somewhat close by to our campus (40 mins away) refused to see him. Finally, one vet told us it would be best to have him put down...we finally found a clinic who was willing to do that for us, but it was too late....he died on the way there.

Let me tell you...I am so upset by the lack of care and service [of vets], this ordeal greatly bothered me and I am so sorry he had to go this way... he was a great bunny and will be deeply missed.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about the little bun. They are such sweet animals - it's just a kick in the heart when they die. We've lost 2 of them and it was terrible.

If it were me I'd probably send a very nasty letter to all of those vets, letting thing know what happened and that you hold them responsible for his death!

I'm so sorry about your little bunny. They are such sweet little souls and it is so hard to see them in pain.
I also understand your frustration with the trouble you went through to get seen by someone. It sounds like you did all you could to help.

I am sorry about your bunny same thing happened to 3 of ours suddenly, they were fine then dead in a couple of hours. It so sad.
sad.png
hit.gif
We love:buntoo. I will look up a website has a lot of treatments for at home for animals...It has some good advice, hard to find a vet to see bunnies and chickens...they consider them exotic!

Back
Top Bottom