Bunny pee has blood?

I DO want them to have babies so that’s not the problem
Why would I separate them?

Here are my answers for why you should separate them now:

she probably is pregnant, although it would have been better for her to grow up a bit more first.

Having the male separate ensures that he will not breed the doe (if she is not pregnant yet), does not trample babies when they are born, and does not rebreed the doe after she gives birth. Yes, a male rabbit can rebreed the doe before you even know the babies have been born, if he is in the same pen with her.

If she isn't pregnant yet, it would be much better for her to stay not-pregnant until she is at least 5 months old. (Larger breeds should be older yet, but Lionheads are usually small, so plan on 5 months minimum before you let them breed.)

It is also best if she has a break after one litter before getting pregnant with another litter-- and that will probably not happen if the buck is in the same pen with her at that time.

Here are my answers for why you should separate them now:

If she isn't pregnant yet, it would be much better for her to stay not-pregnant until she is at least 5 months old. (Larger breeds should be older yet, but Lionheads are usually small, so plan on 5 months minimum before you let them breed.)

It is also best if she has a break after one litter before getting pregnant with another litter-- and that will probably not happen if the buck is in the same pen with her at that time.
We probably will separate the buck when we know she’s pregnant for sure in a couple weeks.

We probably will separate the buck when we know she’s pregnant for sure in a couple weeks.
In my experience, a doe that is carrying hay around will give birth in just a few days.

Or else she has false pregnancy, in which case she won't breed anyway until after it resolves.

So I would separate them NOW, and leave them separate for at least a week. If she does not give birth in that time, and if you are determined to breed her this young (not recommended), then you could put them back together for another try.

But it would be better for the doe if she breeds at 5 months old and gives birth at 6 months old. NOT this soon!

Why would I separate them? Also I don’t know how much she weighs but yes I do want kits.
You should separate them because
1) she's too young for babies. If she and or the kits live through this one you should not put her back with him for a few months.
2) it is 1:1 male:female so he will be on her too much. A large area colony with many more females will help her be less stressed and less territorial. The other way to lower her stress would be to separate them unless breeding.
3) With him around, her being stressed, and her being young she will likely kill all or part of this litter. It doesn't make her a bad mom, she would be trying to save them a horrible (stress) life (instinctual - she obviously isn't having these existential thoughts).

I am not overly concerned about the darkened pee. Put her on dog pee pads under wire and check the color of urine for a while. Also do a quick health check. Record how much she is eating and drinking.

At three months old they should both be separated.

Hopefully she's just having a false pregnancy, and hopefully they aren't both sexualy mature yet. But, rabbits can breed at a very young age and will, so I would go ahead and separate them now.

The red pee is likely not even blood and is just from food pigments.
With how young she is, I doubt she's having any health issues that would cause this, but I would watch her diet, separate them, and see if this continues happening and hope she isn't pregnant.

I'll tag some people here who all have lots of experience with breeding and owning many rabbits.
@NatJ @LizzzyJo @Everose any thoughts?
So she is now 6 months old, he just got neutered on Thursday and she had 3 babies. What should I do?? I’m so scared is she going to take care of them? Also my male bunny is freaking out and grunting and biting the kennel cage trying to get to the babies. What should I do???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 4
So she is now 6 months old, he just got neutered on Thursday and she had 3 babies. What should I do?? I’m so scared is she going to take care of them? Also my male bunny is freaking out and grunting and biting the kennel cage trying to get to the babies. What should I do???

What to do:
--keep him in his cage. He is probably still fertile, and you do not want her to get pregnant again right now.

--if the bunnies are cuddled together in a nice nest (hay or straw, plus fur pulled by the mother), then she is taking care of them just fine. She will probably ignore them most of the time, and nurse them once or twice a day. The nursing is pretty fast, and will usually happen when you are not present to see it.

I would mostly leave the bunnies alone, to avoid stressing the mother too much. Maybe check once a day. Warm bunnies with round tummies are fine. Skinny bunnies with wrinkled skin are not getting enough to eat. The bunnies in your photo look fine.

Are the babies alive?

DO NOT let the male near the female.
DO NOT.

OK here’s the situation I have two Lionhead bunnies that are both three months old they are inside and are being fed pellets various veggies and alfalfa hay. We think the female is pregnant because about last week when she turned three months old she keeps on trying to make a nest and bringing various items into her hiding house. Today I fed them some beet leaves could it be from that? I tried searching it up in the most common answer is Overrine cancer? Is she too young?
I will pray.

Like Nat said, keep them separated. He could stay fertile for the next few weeks. I would keep something between them so they can't see each other if he's getting upset. He may calm down.

Check on the bunnies about once a day when the mom is not feeding them. She will only feed them twice a day (once in the early morning and once in the late evening). They should be warm and have have full bellies.
I'm sure it's hard not to constantly check on them, but the best thing to do is let them be so the mom won't get stressed out and possibly even stop feeding them as a result.

I would start contacting people who may be interested in adopting a baby. Be sure they do their research, and it's usually best if they don't have young children, cats, or dogs that could hurt them. Telling them about YouTube channels such as Lennon the Bunny, 101Rabbits, and The Bunny Lady, will help them learn what all is involved in caring for a rabbit.

Assuming the parents have been switched to Timothy hay, I would provide the mom with some Alfalfa. This will help her while she's nursing, and the babies will need to be on Alfalfa once they start to wean.

Back
Top Bottom