Bunny question...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lagpmgdsls, May 31, 2010.

1. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    We have 3 bunnies...2 females and 1 male...all spayed and neutured. They were house bunnies and fully litterbox trained, They would be let out of their cage twice a day for a few hours to run and play and they always used the litterbox. A couple of weeks ago they were moved outside into a 5 x 8 hutch. Part of it is enclosed for the winter and the other part has half inch hardware cloth as the base.

My question is this...they are now NOT using the litterbox but will pee on the floor in the enclosed area. Its just wood. I need to change what this is or else the wood is just going to keep soaking up the pee and eventually have to be replaced. I did put a litterbox in that area about a week ago and they will use it some but they are still peeing elsewhere.

Any ideas what to make this floor out of so its easily cleaned?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Linoleum that could be esily replaced every year or so?

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    How about a wire floor, with a plywood insert that can be lifted out? That way, there would still be a floor, even when you were cleaning the floor.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ceramic tiles.. just go buy some cheap ones at home depot or something..
    Just lay them on the floor the hutch... they are SUPER easy to take out one by one and clean.... [​IMG]

5. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    you could maybe put in one of those plastic bath mats under the litter to make it easy to clen

6. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Thanks for the idea......I think some cheap linoleum may work. My concern is they will try to eat it...the plastic bath mat would surely get eaten.

I like the removable peice ide as well.

You've given me some thing to think about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by