Burford Brown

elliechooks

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 19, 2013
UK
These hatched from Burford Brown hens with BCM cock. Burford Brown is a dark egg laying hybrid, the actual heritage a closely guarded secret, cocks or hatching eggs practically impossible to get hold of. Anyway, of 6 shipped eggs, my broody hatched these 2. At 10 weeks old now and still very little in the way of comb or pink on their little faces I am hoping for both girls!

Its hard to tell at this age. However I just wanted to say that Philip lee-wolf who developed the burford brown has standardised the breed so it is no longer a hybrid but a pure bred, however I do not beleive he sell cocks so this breed cannot be bred off his farm

This is still very much a hybrid not a standard breed. burfords are sold over the UK and I can tell from experience they do not breed true.

They do not even all produce dark eggs , about 2 in 10 produce a pinky brown egg. some have feather feet and some don't

This is still very much a hybrid not a standard breed. burfords are sold over the UK and I can tell from experience they do not breed true.

They do not even all produce dark eggs , about 2 in 10 produce a pinky brown egg. some have feather feet and some don't

Not all marans lay dark eggs either though. I understand that they do not breed true however they are now no longer classed as a hybrid.

Without wishing to be pedantic:

A cross breed has two parents and a hybrid has 3 or more in some cases.

The burford brown is a mix of 4 grandparents , therefore has two crossbred parents producing a hybrid. just a plain old Commercial hybrid. Historically commercial hybrids are not "breeds" .

We had eggs and birds from the supplier and after a trade mark dispute we agreed never to breed or supply them.

You can read some of the emails we got here : http://store.barnevelders.net/?q=content/burford-brown

They also produce a cotswold legbar which seems to be exactly the same as an cream crested they just have a trademarked name.

Just to dispell any rumour that they are a small operation the parent company is called stonegate ltd which includes clarence court eggs etc and they are massive commercial eggs suppliers. mr lee wolf might have had a mum with a flock of brown egg layers but i personally would take anything you read on the website with more than a pinch of salt.

Frankly anyone who has bought a burford brown from the producer is as mad as anyone who pays the huge premium for the eggs.

A 16 week old bird is £40 plus delivery. The birds and eggs are nothing more than a triumph of marketing.

We now produce almost exactly the same bird ( one different parent ) and sell the 16 week old POL for £16.

Both the parents are 50 % copper black maran.

Thanks for the info double laced. These were hatching eggs from someone who has burford brown hens with a BCM cockerel. Of 2 as you can see one is dark the other quite light in colour. I am not very interested in the name, just wanted to hatch something that lays dark eggs and these were a good price. Having looked at your website I may well get come to you for some eggs later in the year :)

Thanks for the info double laced. These were hatching eggs from someone who has burford brown hens with a BCM cockerel. Of 2 as you can see one is dark the other quite light in colour. I am not very interested in the name, just wanted to hatch something that lays dark eggs and these were a good price. Having looked at your website I may well get come to you for some eggs later in the year
smile.png
With a copper black roo this is probably as close to a real BB as you can get. If you look at the video on the legbars of broadway site you will see some of the Roos are quite light in colour.

We will shortly be updating the website.

Barnevelders is my first love as far as chickens go.

This is what we sell as a Bronte Brown ( we live in bronte country) but they do vary quite a lot.
o

Whereabouts are you double laced. I am also in yorkshire close to bronte country. Huddersfield to be exact.

Back
Top Bottom