Buried eggs

JuJubeann

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2016
Georgia
I decided to give having chickens a go for the first time in over 20 years. My first experience was horrifying. I was young and had no experience raising chickens. But I lived in the country and decided to try. My local feed and seed had baby chick's in an I grabbed about 50. There was a nice size coop and run already on the property so that part was a breeze. Long story short raise them up to 6 months and didn't lose a single one. Then all hell broke loose about 3 nights on a row. Something was getting in the window and clipping their head off. Lost every single one....I was devistated.

Now I live in town and only allowed 6 hens. I bought 5 pullets that were 8 weeks old. Although my coop could easily hold 6 to 8 hens my run just wasn't big enough for 5. I designed it and my hubby built it for me. Letting two of my girls go was the only choice I could make. They were just reaching laying age and we're really big chickens. A co-worker of my husband's agreed to take them in and we carried them over. The run was very nice and large so I was relieved they would be well cared for there. We went by to see them and they seemed very happy so we're happy. Needless to say the coop is much calmer and happier.

My babies are starting to lay now they do their egg song and of course I go to check on them. Belinda and Glenda are my buff orpingtons and super friendly but Karot (americauna)has been a bit shy until the last few days. Whenever I go out to give them their treat she quickly runs up stair inside the coop and ask to be given hers there. Like a good chicken mommy I comply. lol The last two days when I put the treat in the coop she turns her back to me and sits for me to pet her. She's the sweetest thing. Sorry guys this is becoming a book. It's just that I have no one to brag to about my girls.

So now for the question finally. Haha my chickens have been burying their eggs in the run. Why are they doing that? They won't lay in the coop. We keep it very clean...well for a chicken coop and they have nice nesting boxes with clean excelsior in them. We keep food in there but not water because they like to make a huge mess with it. What can I do to get them to lay eggs in the coop? Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but have you tried putting fake eggs in the nesting boxes? That's what I did on the recommendations of experienced chicken owners.

I'm no expert, but have you tried putting fake eggs in the nesting boxes? That's what I did on the recommendations of experienced chicken owners.

X2 or you can use golf balls if you have them, You could also keep your birds locked in the coop for a day or so. Once they start laying in the nest boxes, they usually keep on laying there.

Quote:I assume you know what sqatting is?

Yes, put fake eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes. Can they see into the nest boxes when standing in the coop?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I do....I never use fake eggs...Never have, never will...
If you can ? put up a curtain on your nest boxes...Sometimes they freak out a bit laying the first eggs...I never worry and all my hens have always started to use the nest boxes...Right now as I type my Danish Brown is in a nest box laying her first egg..She is 19 weeks yesterday....I know I will find eggs on the ground before all 11 work out the kinks.....

Best of luck....
Cheers!

Quote:
Yep, that's how chickens operate.
For some reason they don't like your current setup. Figuring out why is tricky. Might want to try locking them in the coop for 2-3 days and force them to lay in there.
My nest boxes are on the back of the coop, at floor level. I have 3 but the hens all lay in one. When my broody hen was setting, they made a nest in the corner of the coop instead of using one of the other nest boxes. Go figure.

Your coop is as cute as mine...I hung my curtains yesterday and my ladies are all trying out the boxes now...It wont hurt to hang them and see how it works out for your hens? Every year I have started new hens they love the curtains...As I said though, I never worry if eggs are on the floor...Soon enough they figure it out...Your nests are not too high either....Perfect set up..Nice and clean...

Cheers!

Thank you very much chickens really. I think I have some red fabric around here somewhere. I think I'll just do a no sew curtain and hot glue it on...lol
This morning I boiled my extra quail eggs, chopped them up and put then in a white plastic pan. That's all I'm willing to sacrifice atm. They took off to the ramp and upstairs. I went inside thinking they would come down and try it but when I went back out they were still upstairs and fussed at me a little. So I talked to them and moved the pan inside the coop. Karot finally edged her way over and grabbed a piece then quickly moved away. They took quite a while sneaking up on the pan grabbing a piece then running. I think I'm going to have to give them my red pie plate. It's easily replacable. Post pics of your coop and curtains if you can please. Would love to see it!
big_smile.png
I will try to send photos, for some reason they will not load??? My laptop has seen better days...Ill try again from my phone....

Enjoy the Chickens

Can't wait to see them chickens really. Try reducing the size. Mine wouldn't load either originally. When I reduce the size they did but there was a few other reasons they may not have loaded.

Yes, I think the eggs will be fine if they lay them on the floor. I'm really looking forward to curtains...hehe

Should I paint the walls inside my coop? Is there any benifit for the chickens? I wanted to lime paint it but it's impossible to find the correct lime and shipping is ridiculous online. I did paint the floor with my favorite turquoise paint I always keep on hand.

Thank you all for help guys it very much appreciated.
Haha!!! I never painted the inside of my coop or the nest boxes.. I sometimes take a wire brush to the walls to get rid of the poop...My outside of my coop is stucco...I painted it white and the trim is a nice light green....I have sand in my coop also...I use a kitty litter scoop daily to pick up poop and it stays so clean...

I will try to get pictures....Might have to get my son to do it for me?? Haha!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom