Burn on a hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dhewitt, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Dhewitt

Dhewitt New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    I have a light in the coop, somehow it got moved and one of my hens got to close to it and singed her feathers and has a burn on her back. How do I treat that? It looks pretty ugly and painful. Weeping a little. She is active and eating still. Should I put some neosporin or burn ointment of some kind?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Neosporin or aloe would probably be good choices.

I never heard of a hen staying close to a heat source long enough to do that damage but I guess anything is possible.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could also post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. A picture would be very helpful as well.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community but sorry about your scorched hen. In addition to the advice you've already received, make sure her flock mates don't start picking at the wound. Once chickens sense weakness or illness in a flock mate things can take an ugly turn. Best of luck to you and your hen. [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some good advice, so I'll just say hi.
    Best wishes
    CT

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Dhewitt [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your girl and I hope she makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've received some good advice so I'll just say hello and send best wishes your girl recovers soon.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy, howdy, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you decided to join the community, please do make yourself at home here! I am sure you will enjoy it, and I hope you love it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by