Burst Crop

Taylermartin

Chirping
Sep 25, 2021
I found my chicken 3 days ago with her crop wide open. Anything she ate or drank would come tumbling out her neck. She is acting completely normal like running, eating, and drinking. After some searching I believe that she might have sour crop and it burst. I read that gluing chicken skin back together was a good option, I got super glue and got it back together. That maybe lasted 12 hours. Her skin in the area looks like a dark scab, I sutured the skin back together and it has worked well.
When she drinks some fluid still comes out from small openings but she is able to hold the scrambled eggs nicely. My concerns now are whether her skin would regenerate or if this may be a temporary fix? Thoughts?

The super glue is a good option since sutures in chicken skin may not hold due the skin being so thin.

However, unless you were thorough in disinfecting the wounds, both the crop sac and the outer skin, you may have trapped bacteria that will lead to infection. You'd best have an oral antibiotic ready to treat her.

This is how it started
20210925_163740.jpg

Back
Top Bottom