Burst Crop

The super glue is a good option since sutures in chicken skin may not hold due the skin being so thin.

However, unless you were thorough in disinfecting the wounds, both the crop sac and the outer skin, you may have trapped bacteria that will lead to infection. You'd best have an oral antibiotic ready to treat her.
Where and what would you use?

Are you under the impression there is only one wall to the crop? The outer skin is torn, obviously, but if the crop contents are leaking out of the outer skin tear, the crop sac has also torn open.

You need to spread open the outer tear and inspect and clean the crop sac tear first. Use saline wound wash by either buying it from the pharmacy or making your own by boiling water and adding table salt and baking soda. The recipe is on the internet. Use Betadine to disinfect the wound before gluing. Be sure the tissue is dry before trying to use the glue.

Then dry with a hair dryer and use the super glue to glue the torn tissue together. Hold the edges for one full minute wile the glue sets. Then disinfect and do the same for the outer skin that's torn.

Are you under the impression there is only one wall to the crop? The outer skin is torn, obviously, but if the crop contents are leaking out of the outer skin tear, the crop sac has also torn open.

You need to spread open the outer tear and inspect and clean the crop sac tear first. Use saline wound wash by either buying it from the pharmacy or making your own by boiling water and adding table salt and baking soda. The recipe is on the internet. Use Betadine to disinfect the wound before gluing. Be sure the tissue is dry before trying to use the glue.

Then dry with a hair dryer and use the super glue to glue the torn tissue together. Hold the edges for one full minute wile the glue sets. Then disinfect and do the same for the outer skin that's torn.
What would you use as a disinfect that is safem

The super glue is a good option since sutures in chicken skin may not hold due the skin being so thin.

However, unless you were thorough in disinfecting the wounds, both the crop sac and the outer skin, you may have trapped bacteria that will lead to infection. You'd best have an oral antibiotic ready to treat her.
What would you suggest?

If you have all three, it's up to you. They all kill germs.

I like amoxicillin as a good broad spectrum antibiotic. The dose is 250 mg per day for a standard chicken for ten days. You may be able to find Fish Mox at TSC or a pet store labeled for fish, but it will work on any animal.

If you have all three, it's up to you. They all kill germs.

I like amoxicillin as a good broad spectrum antibiotic. The dose is 250 mg per day for a standard chicken for ten days. You may be able to find Fish Mox at TSC or a pet store labeled for fish, but it will work on any animal.
I have 500mg Amoxicillin. How would to you administrator? Powder in the food or water?

No, you cannot dilute amoxy. You need to figure out a way to get the entire 250mg dose into her. I sometimes have luck opening the capsule, emptying the contents and dividing them in half. Then I take a tiny piece of bread and dip it in olive oil and then sop up the dose, giving it to the chicken. If you sprinkle a bit of sugar on it, it will disguise the bitter taste. Chickens will only fall once for the bitter amoxy on bread and refuse to eat it. Sugar can help disguise it so she will gobble it down.

I don’t have experience with a torn open crop. Do you think that she could have been attacked by a predator? That can be a common area attacked by predators. I would follow the advice of @azygous or see a vet.

Back
Top Bottom