Burying a chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newmamahen, Jan 31, 2011.

1. newmamahen

newmamahen Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Eugene
    Hi. Today is a sad day. I came home to find one of my beautiful girls lying dead in the kennel we had to put her in after a trip to the emergency vet last night. We want to bury her in our yard, however we are not sure how to go about this, as we have never buried a pet before. Is there a special way to go about this to avoid smell and other animals digging it up? If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thank you from a very sad Mama hen.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] we have buried many pets over the years, and my dh usually builds a coffin out of scrap wood, then he digs a hole any where from 11/2 to 2' deep. we live in the mts. which means we have alot of rocks so we use them to cover the grave after filling in the dirt.. we actually have a little cemetery. I have also just wrapped one in a towel too.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    If you do, be sure it is quite deep and cover the top with big rocks if you can.

My neighbor ran over her dog next to our house and ended up in a shallow grave. Well, I have 3 dogs that found it in the spring and I wont give you details but you can be sure it was nightmare-inducing.

4. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    That's so sad, I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Try to go 2 feet and put back the rocks on top to discourage diggers.

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Had to do the same thing a few months ago and am very sorry for your loss [​IMG] I still think of Amelia every morning when I clean the coop, and it's so hard to lose them and not know the cause of death.

I double-bagged her in plastic trash bags to try to prevent animals from smelling her and digging her up.

6. newmamahen

newmamahen Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Eugene
    Thank you so much for all of your feedback and kind words. I know she is just a chicken but she was a pet in our eyes. I raised her and 3 other girls from chicks almost two years ago, and quickly fell in love with them all. She will be greatly missed. Thank you again...

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    When our roo died we just warpped him in a table cloths and then covered the spot with heavy rocks. I have had to put pets in boxes to be buried.Smell was never an issue.Having animals dig them up was.

We still get sad over our roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by