Burying the nest eggs?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
I have just recently (a week or so ago) installed my nesting boxes in the coop as my oldest hens (20.5 weeks) are getting closer and closer to POL. I put one wooden nest egg in each box. I’ve noticed every time I go to check for eggs that in 2 of the boxes the egg has been buried. The third always seems to be where I left it, or at least is still on top of the bedding. I’m assuming that means the other two are more desirable than third, or possibly just my 2 oldest girls have each picked their box.

Is the burying thing normal?? They still haven’t laid yet. I’ve read it can be a sign of broodiness if they bury their eggs, but burying a fake egg before they’ve even laid yet?? I just keep putting them back on top of the bedding, but I’m wondering if it means something isn’t right?

Yep. almost there. Mine would roll the egg completely out of the nest or bury it. Don't worry about the 3rd box.... they'll eventually use it. For the longest time my 4 only used 1 box. Now we have 6 more and all of them get used now. Once you get a real egg, then you can put up the other fake ones.

Before many pullets start to lay they check out potential nests. That usually involves scratching. I suspect that's what is going on. They are checking out those two nests and don't much care for the third. It is not a guarantee that you will be getting eggs within a week but it is a good sign. And at some point they may use that third nest. You just never know.

I use golf balls as fake eggs and leave one in each nest at all times. I don't see where it hurts. I think it helps spread which nests get used, but they do tend to like one or two nests more than the others. Which nests are the favorites can change.

Mine scratched in the nest boxes and buried the fake eggs before laying for the first time too. Before we increased the lip height, I even found a fake egg kicked 4 feet away from the nest box🤣. My girls all have favorite nest boxes - for a couple of weeks at a time. Then they will all switch to new favorites. Eventually all our nest boxes get used, just not all at once🙂

Back
Top Bottom