Butchered first chicken. Is this normal?

When you look at the livers of your birds, remember how nice and red and firm they are. Next time you are in the store just look, don't buy, at the livers there. Brown, or greyish, and enlarged. I do not eat them, either, since I learned what they should look like. They are not like the chicken livers I ate when I was young, but I did not know it until I got birds of my own!

Yes, about the fat, hope you did not throw it away. It is great rendered and saved for frying potatoes. Grandparents called it "schmaltz", my great-grandmother even spread it on bread for a sandwich spread, like butter. She had a "chicken ranch" in Yuba City, CA. They ate everything but the "squak"!
I almost never buy oil because I save all of my chicken fat. It is excellent for frying! Everyone always comments on how delicious all of my soups are. The secret is the chicken fat and broth!

I almost never buy oil because I save all of my chicken fat. It is excellent for frying! Everyone always comments on how delicious all of my soups are. The secret is the chicken fat and broth!
So true! All the remains from roasted birds are the best soup. Added to the chicken feet broth, if you have it!

I did toss it! First time... I need to acclimate first to this experience before I'm spreading the fat on my toast haha! I will save next time and bring to the cabin where everyone seems more adventurous (beer helps). I did save the liver and heart for the pup (also not quite ready to try).

The organs I feed my puppy are the kidneys, liver, heart, and gizzard. So unless you eat those parts you can feed em to your puppy too.

@Armstrt8 don’t base home grown meat birds with what you are currently eating. Meat birds will be great almost anyway you cook them but a 1 year old bird will be tough. Don’t give up if you find it tough most birds that you will want to eat will be under 16 weeks old.

The organ meat and fat are the best part of an old layer! The meat is good for enchiladas, or soup. All can be eaten, but some do not like the tough texture of the meat on an older bird. It is better for soup, nice pieces that do not dissolve while cooking!

The organ meat and fat are the best part of an old layer! The meat is good for enchiladas, or soup. All can be eaten, but some do not like the tough texture of the meat on an older bird. It is better for soup, nice pieces that do not dissolve while cooking!

I was wondering how some soups can keep their chicken “tough” and not “soggy“. I love it. Now I know it’s an old chicken. Now I can make my soup and have chicken chunks retain its shape and toughness.

I was wondering how some soups can keep their chicken “tough” and not “soggy“. I love it. Now I know it’s an old chicken. Now I can make my soup and have chicken chunks retain its shape and toughness.
I like to pressure cook my old birds. Old is any bird over 6 months, to me.

Back
Top Bottom