Butchered one of my Turkeys today

SkyWarrior - we would love to have more details - did you hand pluck it? dip it in really hot water first etc. etc.? And could you please expand on when you brine and how? I'm sorry to be a pest but we have 2 turkeys this year and we are wondering whether to do it ourself or take them to the Amish. How old was your turkey to reach 35lbs? Ours are both only 4 months so am sure have a few more months to go before they get to be big enough to be worthwhile. I'm not really up on the technique of brining but when my chickens come out of the freezer I thaw them by submerging them in a huge pot of cold salt water until they are thawed (usually overnight) - they get so white and beautiful and are always tender but I always give them a rest in the fridge for 24 hours after butchering anyway. Is what I am doing at thawing considered brining?

Quote:
That would depend on what kind and how much salt you are using. There are some great brine recipes if you do a search on line, and don't be afraid to use your imagination. If a brine recipe calls for a gallon of water, it doesn't have to be 'water'. You can substitute a bit of soy sauce, apple juice, etc... Throw in some herbs, whatever sounds good to you. The important part is the salt/liquid ratio.

Quote:
I skin my turkeys. I decided a long time ago that plucking was way too much work. Skinning is hard enough for me. If you want the skin on but don't want to pluck, have someone else do it. I would, but I don't know anyone out here that does poultry processing reasonably.
idunno.gif

I got the turkey chicks back in April or May, so the turkey in question was about 5-6 months. I have one more bird we need to put into freezer camp, but I have to clear a spot in the freezer. I may have to cut it up.

Brining isn't hard. Look it up on the web and you'll see a zillion recipes. Mine is with orange juice and spice apple cider, garlic, bay leaf and salt, of course. I'm probably the only person who doesn't age meat before I freeze it, but I've never had problems with it.

You can brine lots of meat, including pork. Best pig roast I had was brined in mango and pineapple juice.

Quote:
Found the movie last spring on VSH! Hadn't seen Highlander in years. Loved the TV program.

We go to the Higgins Armory in Worcester, MA. THe ancient collection of swords and armor, etc is amazing. And having 2 little boys, well, they are good with wooden swords and practice often on each other.

Now I can add to their chores when they can handle a real sword! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom