Butchered one of my Turkeys today

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
We had gotten two BBW birds and they're beyond huge now. Today we decided to butcher one. After much thought, we actually came up with a way to do the deed, since an ax seemed a bit anemic.

We used my sword. Seriously.
hide.gif

My husband and I practice longsword and I gave him my hand and a half to do the deed, as it is more of a cutter. He did an excellent cut that left me stunned -- and the turkey was without its head in a blink of an eye. I couldn't believe it. He didn't even think he cut through the turkey until he saw its body flapping on the ground.

So, my hand and a half should probably be given the name Turkey-Slayer.
caf.gif

Nah... I cut up the turkey and froze it for meals.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Way to go Skywarrior. I'm all about the humane killing of our birds, when it comes time to slaughter, and I can't imagine a bird who wouldn't prefer death by the sword, the way you describe it, as opposed to being flipped upside down and layed over a cutting block first. The only way I can think of that would be marginally easier on the turkey would be a shot gun to the head, but these days that is just too expensive.

Quote:
It was ridiculously fast. The turkey didn't know what killed it.

We thought about a shotgun, being that it was such a big bird, but we didn't want to spook the horses because they were so close to the barn. The turkey was a typical BBW and could barely walk, so getting him moved was difficult at best.

I have to say I like that idea!

I used a 22, on mine, bullets are cheap enough compared to the price of a sword. Which I'd love to learn to use!

Any idea how much yours weighed? Ours was 40.5#!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Here it is, for you to chuckle over. It isn't the first time this sword has drawn blood, both I and my husband have accidentally cut ourselves on its razor-sharp blade. It's a Cold Steel hand and a half. My husband has an Albion, but it is more suited to 15th century armor. My sword is more of a 13th century sword.

53034_dscn0296.jpg

I think the turkey was around 35 lbs. The other turkey, to be slaughter later is pushing 40 lbs. The sword is a remarkable tool for dispatching the turkeys easily. I think it's the tool we'll use in the future because it's so fast and humane.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom