Butchering Basics: TIPS?

Obsessive

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
OK we have some cornish x rocks about 16 weeks old?

Its time to butcher them (past time)
D.gif
old.gif

I have some books showing how to do it basically, and I don't think it will be a big deal, but Im a little unsure about plucking them...
hu.gif

I don't have a machine to do it and I know it takes a certain "knack"

Could I get some people with nerve to get semi-graphic give some tips on the whole self-processing thing?

thanks
smile.png

My advice, If it isn't all that bad to not have the skin on you can skin them as well. I don't have the address handy but I know there are some videos on YOU TUBE that demonstrate well enough how to skin them. If not you can check on YOU TUBE to see about plucking them as well. Just a suggestion and hope it helps.

Well, I think plucking is just that plucking. You pull the feathers out and keep pulling and you think you are never going to get done, lol. But you get better at it the more you do.

If you can skin them, it makes it much easier than messing with plucking. Just remember to cut a circle around the vent, and then reach in from the neck and push the vitals down. Then if you do it right, you can pull everything out at once with little mess. I split the skin down the breast, and then just work it back to the back. It also added a better taste to ours, without the greasy skin on it. I have found here that people actually want a skinless carcass then one with skin. Im going to attempt marketing meat birds in the spring.

Make sure you have sharp knives. I know that sound obvious, but there have been many (including myself) who have had a bad expirience because of this. It will make the whole process go better.

We just processed our first rooster and plucking was EASY! We submerged and swished the killed bird in 150 F degree water for 2 minutes, removed him, and the feathers came out in handfuls. Practically rubbed right off.

I remembered helping my dad pluck gamebirds when I was little and how hard that was. The hot water really facilitated things -- it was a snap.

Oh, the sticky at the top of the forum has lots of info.

Last edited:
Quote:
The hot water is definately a must for plucking. I remember that from when I was kid and other than it (the smell) reminding me of when the dog decided to go swim in the pond in the middle of summer, the job went fairly quickly. Haven't ever tried skinning one before but definately peaks my curiousity for next time! You can use a lit match or a torch to remove the tiny hairs left over after plucking too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom