Butchering Day- 75 Cornish X's! (Graphic, and Pic-Heavy)

We did 75 Cornish X's in about 7 hours

bow.gif

You've got the perfect set up! I esp. like the stainless steel table. We do 35 CornishX each spring which keeps my family in chicken for a year (we can get 2 or 3 meals off of one big bird). I built a pen like that for mine and have had trouble figuring out what to do for the top. Thanks for posting a pic of yours, really helped! My DH is getting to where he can strip a bird in under 5 minutes, so for as few birds as we do, that is fine, but I would LOVE to have a plucker if I could justify the expense.​

Wow, awesome set-up Jake! I'm jealous... it really makes our set-up look ghetto. But, we're workin' on it
wink.png

BTW, I've used your chicken cone to process about 30 Cornish X, and the turkey cone to do my Midget Whites and Bourbon Reds. The cones are fantastic and make all the difference in "doing the deed" to the birds. In the past we had issues with broken wings... not now! Come spring (after I get my Whizbang built) I'll be in the market for a couple more.

Got a question for you though about the bags from Cornerstone. Do you use their metal staples to close the bags? If so, do you use their pliers? I don't want to spend the $$ for the set of pliers unless they're essential. Hoping to take advantage of your experience with the bags as I've never used them.

Thanks!
~Eve

Quote:
Yeah, the steel table makes a huge difference. Before that, I was putting a piece of plywood on a barrel and doing them in the driveway. Now I'm in out of the flies. That awesome table was just collecting dust in my buddy's (pictured) garage, and he gave it to me.

beautiful. Wish I had a set up like that-the more I see of everyone else's set ups the more i feel like a savage.
But, dude-with that extra fridge stuffed with birds, where are you going to keep your beers? It is still football season after all.

Good call, but I got it covered. The beer that was in there is sitting on the shelf. It's cold enough now that it stays cold without the refrigerator. I could probably do that with the chickens too, I just felt funny about leaving raw meat out no matter what the temp.

What do you do with all the feet? I know people eat them but I also know I don't because I've seen how muddy they get!

I'm going to use them for stock, along with my wingtips and a few carcasses. There's a ton of collagen in the feet, which gives you a super thick stock.

Wow, awesome set-up Jake! I'm jealous... it really makes our set-up look ghetto. But, we're workin' on it .

BTW, I've used your chicken cone to process about 30 Cornish X, and the turkey cone to do my Midget Whites and Bourbon Reds. The cones are fantastic and make all the difference in "doing the deed" to the birds. In the past we had issues with broken wings... not now! Come spring (after I get my Whizbang built) I'll be in the market for a couple more.

Got a question for you though about the bags from Cornerstone. Do you use their metal staples to close the bags? If so, do you use their pliers? I don't want to spend the $$ for the set of pliers unless they're essential. Hoping to take advantage of your experience with the bags as I've never used them.

Thanks!
~Eve

I'm glad you're enjoying the cones! Yes, I'm using Cornerstone's staples, and (funny you should ask,) just today I ordered a better set of pliers. If you get them, pay for the more expensive ones. The non-spring loaded ones are awful! I just ordered the ones that are loaded with a stick of staples. I think you'd almost need to use some type of ring-bending pliers, and I don't think they'd close right if you didn't. You could use zip ties to close the bags too. Cornerstone has really upgraded their website. It's a lot easier to order than I remember. The bags work great though as far as a shrink bag. Very professional looking, and no further packaging needed.​

As graphic as it is it is VERY educational! Man i wish more people could see this they would become vegetarians. People don't appreciate the time it goes into all meat! For that I give a
thumbsup.gif

So you filleted a lot of them, but also left a lot whole? I think I could love that fillet method, especially since all the guts/head/crop are still intact. Great job.

I'm glad you're enjoying the cones! Yes, I'm using Cornerstone's staples, and (funny you should ask,) just today I ordered a better set of pliers. If you get them, pay for the more expensive ones. The non-spring loaded ones are awful! I just ordered the ones that are loaded with a stick of staples. I think you'd almost need to use some type of ring-bending pliers, and I don't think they'd close right if you didn't. You could use zip ties to close the bags too. Cornerstone has really upgraded their website. It's a lot easier to order than I remember. The bags work great though as far as a shrink bag. Very professional looking, and no further packaging needed.

I was looking at the pliers that are on sale, I think for about $49... and wondering if they're worth the extra money. After reading your reply, I think I'll go ahead and order those.

One more question though... what size staples do you use? Do you use the same size for chickens and turkeys? Sorry to ask so many questions... I'm a huge believer in avoiding my own pitfalls by taking advantage of the wisdom of those more experienced than I am!

Thanks~​

Thanks for posting your awesome set up. I remember when we used to do our own meatys and we couldnt do 100 birds in a day with like 5 to 6 people. Those pluckers rock.

Thanks again
Grant

Thanks for all the photos that chronicle the processing of the meaties. I see that you made a whizbang for yourself. What was the cost of getting the materials for that? How do you sterilize it? How do you gather the feathers from the whizbang to trash? Was it hard work to scoop and dispose of the feathers?

You and Dan managed a fantastic job! I envious.

Back
Top Bottom