Butchering for first time- tips?

Pics

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
I have a 6mo rooster who is very aggressive. If it weren't for his spurs being dull, I would have many holes in my calves. As much as I hate this boy, I have been dreading the day I would have to butcher him and have been putting it off. Now it is getting very old. I need to do it soon. Either today, tomorrow, or next weekend. I have never processed or butchered a bird (or anything for that matter) and I am really sad about having to do it. I am thinking about using the old fashioned stump and axe with 2 nails to keep his head in place. It will be heartbreaking, but it needs to be done. I would appreciate any advice from more experienced (or not) people who have done this before.

DSC_0568.JPG

He is done. Everything went well. He died quickly and painlessly with little stress. We plucked him quickly and started on cleaning him up. His crop was a bit challenging because 1. It was huge! Super full of food. 2. We weren’t sure what we were looking for. Also the intestines broke when piling everything out and it smelled up the house. Other than those things, everything went well. I would change a couple things next time, for example, I would not let them have feed 24 hours before. He is resting in the refrigerator and should go in the freezer on Monday. I’m just glad it’s over and I don’t have to stress about it anymore.
91DA200A-6286-49EF-B2F0-8C1E854574B5.jpeg

Finished bird
D982A542-07D1-435F-8D97-9E83EF89C2F7.jpeg

Liver and heart. They seemed really healthy, so now I know I’m not over feeding treats.
Overall it was a success and he helped feed my family.

Last edited:
Don't take this personally, but here it goes:

Buck up, buttercup, and don't half ass it! Your adrenaline will be pumping, and you will want to hesitate. Don't!! You will only cause yourself and the chicken more stress.

If you can have a partner, even better. Person one catches and hangs the chicken. Person 2, walks up and cuts. Person one can talk to, coddle, whisper, and calm the chicken.

Here's a helpful link: http://howtobutcherachicken.blogspot.com/2017/

Good luck.

Just a couple more tips. Mine come off of feed at noon the day before, are moved to a small crate near the area for processing the evening before. Basically, they go without water for about 8-12 hours so the crop is empty when you work.

After you chill the bird in ice water, hold it in the fridge for 24-48 hours before freezing or keep it in the cooler with ice water. It will give you a more tender chicken.

You've gotten good advice here. I do it differently but I have professional equipment. For those who doing more than a few birds, renting a plucker is a blessing.

Also its important to remove the oil gland on the top of the tail. Here's a link to a video for cleaning the bird. It takes you through the whole process I use, so you may want to fast forward to the part after the feathers are removed. BTW, Your scald temp should be about 155 degrees.

Best of luck.

Oops, also wanted to post the video.
This is the only Cervical Dislocation video I found that does not remove the head.
When slaughtering for meat, I prefer to slit the carotid and jugular(and not esophagus and trachea) so bird bleeds out well. But for euthanasia of a bird I do not intend to eat, CD is the way to go.

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
it's the only CV video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck , this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

I think I might do it tonight. He is causing a lot of stress for me and the girls. Is there a way to make him calm? Like will he go into a coma type trance if you hold him upside down? I have heard that somewhere. Should I wait until it is dark or do it while it is light outside?
Yes, they'll calm down that way. I'd do it when it's light.

I have never heard of the feed bag method, I do like the idea. I think you could hang the feed bag with the head hanging down, and have both hands free. I have used a 4 ft handled fish net. Easier to catch the rooster. If you are doing it tomorrow, go down tonight, and pull him off the roost and place in a box or small cage. Chasing them is tough, especially when you are already nervous. None of us like to do this, and it does take a bit of courage to do there first one. But it can be done. I slit the throats, using a banded razor blade, you need a sharp blade. They hardly notice, just get rather tired. Not so much flapping.

I have everything set up an ready to go. I went out to go get him and he was not cooperating. I spent about an hour trying to get him to come to me and all o got in return was some flogging. (I was luckily wearing high boots) I am going to do it tonight when the sun is beginning to set and I can pick him up off the roost. That way he will be calmer and I will still be able to see. The actual deed should only be 2-5 mins so I can just take him inside after. :hit
Or the other option is I can get him tonight and put him in a cage and do it tomorrow after church. (Around 1)

Back
Top Bottom