Butchering for first time- tips?

Pics

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
I have a 6mo rooster who is very aggressive. If it weren't for his spurs being dull, I would have many holes in my calves. As much as I hate this boy, I have been dreading the day I would have to butcher him and have been putting it off. Now it is getting very old. I need to do it soon. Either today, tomorrow, or next weekend. I have never processed or butchered a bird (or anything for that matter) and I am really sad about having to do it. I am thinking about using the old fashioned stump and axe with 2 nails to keep his head in place. It will be heartbreaking, but it needs to be done. I would appreciate any advice from more experienced (or not) people who have done this before.

DSC_0568.JPG

I'm doing mine for the first time today as well. Roos are 14 weeks, but i need to do it before crowing happens. I'll be using the broom method. I wish luck to us both!

Do you have pipe cutters and a feed bag? You can cut the corner off the bag, stick his head through, and cut it off with the cutters. Less chance of missing due to shaky hands.
Agree with this BC comment. My husband will ring the necks or stump and machete method. We keep the whole bird if they are big ( after their blood has drained, boil water in a big pot and dunk the whole bird in and then dunk it in a big pot of ice water to pluck the feathers then clean all the insides out of them, them clean them off inside and press and seal and freeze) or just breast them out if they are to small.

I think I might do it tonight. He is causing a lot of stress for me and the girls. Is there a way to make him calm? Like will he go into a coma type trance if you hold him upside down? I have heard that somewhere. Should I wait until it is dark or do it while it is light outside?

I think I might do it tonight. He is causing a lot of stress for me and the girls. Is there a way to make him calm? Like will he go into a coma type trance if you hold him upside down? I have heard that somewhere. Should I wait until it is dark or do it while it is light outside?
Yes, they'll calm down that way. I'd do it when it's light.

Back
Top Bottom