Butchering for first time- tips?

I am going to do it tonight when the sun is beginning to set and I can pick him up off the roost.
It will be easiest well after dark. Keep the flashlight dim and pointed away from an avenue of escape. Give him water in cage, I withhold feed to purge intestines but slaughter by 9am....last meal of scratch 15 minutes before kill to fill crop making it easier to remove.

Good Luck...you can do it!

It will be easiest well after dark. Keep the flashlight dim and pointed away from an avenue of escape. Give him water in cage, I withhold feed to purge intestines but slaughter by 9am....last meal of scratch 15 minutes before kill to fill crop making it easier to remove.

Good Luck...you can do it!
So, you think I should put him in a cage tonight and do it early in the morning? I was thinking acctually killing him tonight when the sun is beginning to set. Either way works for me though.

So, you think I should put him in a cage tonight and do it early in the morning? I was thinking acctually killing him tonight when the sun is beginning to set. Either way works for me though.
They are much easier to catch after full dark.
Some folks hang a carcass(dead bird) before actually cleaning it(plucking, gutting)...
...I'm not comfortable with that. I like around 15-20 minutes between kill and chill.

They are much easier to catch after full dark.
Some folks hang a carcass(dead bird) before actually cleaning it(plucking, gutting)...
...I'm not comfortable with that. I like around 15-20 minutes between kill and chill.
:sick Yea, I would not do that. What I was acctually planning was to kill him and clean him tonight. I usually don’t go to bed until midnight, so I would have plenty of time. And I’m willing to stay up later. I would wear gloves and get him off the roost instead of chasing him around the run. I think it would be easier.

:sick Yea, I would not do that. What I was acctually planning was to kill him and clean him tonight. I usually don’t go to bed until midnight, so I would have plenty of time. And I’m willing to stay up later. I would wear gloves and get him off the roost instead of chasing him around the run. I think it would be easier.
Ohhhh that should be fine....it gets dark earlier, as long as you have a lighted area to see to clean the carcass...don't cut your finger off! I'm not a night owl.

Ohhhh that should be fine....it gets dark earlier, as long as you have a lighted area to see to clean the carcass...don't cut your finger off! I'm not a night owl.
Haha! Just as I’m not an early bird. I think I will just clean him in the kitchen. With 3 kids, a bird shouldn’t be much more than what has to be cleaned everyday anyways! :lau I’ll do my best to keep all my fingers intact ;)

He is done. Everything went well. He died quickly and painlessly with little stress. We plucked him quickly and started on cleaning him up. His crop was a bit challenging because 1. It was huge! Super full of food. 2. We weren’t sure what we were looking for. Also the intestines broke when piling everything out and it smelled up the house. Other than those things, everything went well. I would change a couple things next time, for example, I would not let them have feed 24 hours before. He is resting in the refrigerator and should go in the freezer on Monday. I’m just glad it’s over and I don’t have to stress about it anymore.
91DA200A-6286-49EF-B2F0-8C1E854574B5.jpeg

Finished bird
D982A542-07D1-435F-8D97-9E83EF89C2F7.jpeg

Liver and heart. They seemed really healthy, so now I know I’m not over feeding treats.
Overall it was a success and he helped feed my family.

Last edited:
He is done. Everything went well. He died quickly and painlessly with little stress. We plucked him quickly and started on cleaning him up. His crop was a bit challenging because 1. It was huge! Super full of food. 2. We weren’t sure what we were looking for. Also the intestines broke when piling everything out and it smelled up the house. Other than those things, everything went well. I would change a couple things next time, for example, I would not let them have feed 24 hours before. He is resting in the refrigerator and should go in the freezer on Monday. I’m just glad it’s over and I don’t have to stress about it anymore.
View attachment 1149284
Finished bird
View attachment 1149285
Kidney and heart. They seemed really healthy, so now I know I’m not over feeding treats.
Overall it was a success and he helped feed my family.
Great job!! I'm proud of you. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom