Butchering in city limits?

I was just assuming if OP is getting them from a university that they're probably grown as expendable educational stock, and they may get a good deal on buying them. I'd be interested to know what they pay for seven week-old chicks.

We bought them for $3/bird, & they gave us 3 additional birds at no cost. They averaged 5lbs after processing as whole birds. So we got 28 birds for $75, or $2.68/bird. Averaging 5lbs, that’s $0.54/lb.

The cheapest whole chicken at our local grocery store is currently on sale for $0.88/lb, regular price is $1.19/lb.

I did not factor in the cost of the Food Saver bags we used. We went through probably a 3-pack of rolls (it was 6 months ago, so I could be off some on how much we used). A 3-pack is $38, which ups the cost per bird to $4.03, or $0.80/lb.

It involves a whole day’s work for 2 people, but I don’t mind it.

We bought them for $3/bird, & they gave us 3 additional birds at no cost. They averaged 5lbs after processing as whole birds. So we got 28 birds for $75, or $2.68/bird. Averaging 5lbs, that’s $0.54/lb.

The cheapest whole chicken at our local grocery store is currently on sale for $0.88/lb, regular price is $1.19/lb.

I did not factor in the cost of the Food Saver bags we used. We went through probably a 3-pack of rolls (it was 6 months ago, so I could be off some on how much we used). A 3-pack is $38, which ups the cost per bird to $4.03, or $0.80/lb.

It involves a whole day’s work for 2 people, but I don’t mind it.

Doing some quick math. 5 lb at $1.19 per pound is $5.95 per bird. Is tax included?

5 lb at $0.80 per pound is $4.00 per bird unless you get the meat on sale. So that is $1.95 difference per bird. 25 birds at a time is $48.75 savings to go get them, house them a day or two, butcher them, package them, and get rid of the residue and clean up in general. I don't know if you brine or age them before freezing which is more handling. The meat from the store has probably been brined and aged.

Or you can get a bunch on sale at $0.88 per pound and just plop them in the freezer. At $0.08 per pound for a 5 pound bird that's $0.40 savings per bird, times 25 birds is a total of $10.00 savings to go get them, house them a day or two, butcher them, package them, and get rid of the residue and clean up in general.

That's just the money viewpoint. You may get some satisfaction or enjoyment out of the process while others see it as drudgery or dirty work. It's not always just the money. I don't raise my dual purpose birds for less than I can buy the meat from at the store, even when I factor in the eggs I use. It's not always just about the money.

My husband & I had to move from our quiet country home back into town last fall. We had butchered meat birds a couple times at the old house. I really like putting meat in the freezer myself, knowing where it came from & how it was killed/processed.

Has anyone butchered birds in town? Our yard is privacy fenced, not visible from the street. I get the birds from the state university’s poultry unit as ready to butcher 7 week olds, so I don’t have to raise them. I keep them a day or two until I can butcher them on the weekend.

My concern is someone calling animal control or the police if they were to see us butchering 25ish birds in the yard.

Should I still go ahead with putting meat in the freezer myself or give in & get the more expensive grocery store meat?
Hi! I love the idea of putting meat in the freezer myself! Having said that, 1 or 2 birds you could probably get away with, but with 25???? I think calling animal control could be the least of your worries. Getting a ticket would sure blow your cost savings, but worse would be making enemies of your neighbors. Nothing worse than war with neighbors. Unless it's public shaming and retaliation, that could be worse! :oops: Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Hi! I love the idea of putting meat in the freezer myself! Having said that, 1 or 2 birds you could probably get away with, but with 25???? I think calling animal control could be the least of your worries. Getting a ticket would sure blow your cost savings, but worse would be making enemies of your neighbors. Nothing worse than war with neighbors. Unless it's public shaming and retaliation, that could be worse! :oops: Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do!

This is holding me back from doing a batch of meaties. My neighbors are a little bemused but indulgent about the flock of chickens in my backyard, but otherwise don't care much because I keep everything clean and non-smelling and quiet and offer up eggs to everyone for free. If I started keeping smelly meat birds and slaughtering them en masse every month or so, I think the neighbors would be a little less understanding of my "peculiar" suburban hobby.

This is holding me back from doing a batch of meaties. My neighbors are a little bemused but indulgent about the flock of chickens in my backyard, but otherwise don't care much because I keep everything clean and non-smelling and quiet and offer up eggs to everyone for free. If I started keeping smelly meat birds and slaughtering them en masse every month or so, I think the neighbors would be a little less understanding of my "peculiar" suburban hobby.

We haven’t been here too long, about 6 months. Someday I’d like to get 3-4 hens for eggs, but that’s not in this year’s timeline.
We would only do like 1-2 batches of meat birds/year, nothing crazy. And since I can get them ready to butcher, I’d set up a temporary pen for them & tear everything back down after.

It’s just an idea at this point in time, I’m certainly not to the point of planning a butchering day. Just thinking :)

Back
Top Bottom