Butchering methods

un-named

Songster
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
I partly watched a Youtube video of this lady that sliced the throat and let them bleed out and it sounded like they were alive while this happened. Is this for real????
Isn't that so much more cruel than the hatchet???????????????
disturbing to me... please educate me on this.
thank you

Cutting the jugular viens allows the bird to bleed out better so the meat will have better flavor. No it really doesn't feel much pain as the heart is still beating as it bleeds out then slowly sucumbs. it's a very good method. The hatchet works good as well, it just depends on what's best for the person doing it. As long as it doesn't get out of hand with really unreasonable crazy thoughts and methods as to what feels what etc etc. I have heard of some folks doing such crazy processing things because they can't wrap their minds around the task at hand and ultimately the chickens suffers even more because of human emotions, not fair to the chicken.

The way I see, think back if you've sliced yourself with a sharp knife while cutting veggies or doing dishes (my two favorite times to cut myself on accident). The pain doesn't start for a good bit, and it hurts a LOT more the next day than it does when it happens. I like to think that for a chicken, that pain won't set in for a few minutes or more- and by that time rolls around, the chicken has passed away.

I personally don't trust myself with a hatchet, and some days don't trust I would have the strength to make a clean, complete cut with one. I'm more comfortable with knives than I am with hatchets (in any circumstance, let alone processing), so I go with the process that I'm confident in. Either way, when done correctly there should be minimal suffering and pain for the chicken, but it more depends on the processor. I would bet I would botch a hatchet job and cause undue suffering, whereas someone who is confident with a hatchet might botch a jugular cut and cause suffering. Neither of us is better or worse, we're just more comfortable with one skill over the other.

At the point where the cut is made the corotid artery, jugular vein, windpipe, and esophagus are all severed. Sometimes the spinal chord is as well (i always break the neck after i cut so they cant feel anything; plus it allows the chickens to die faster.) Once the corotid and jugular are severed, the brain drains completely of blood and no more can be recieved. Death comes quickly in a matter of seconds.

There's a long topic going on right now about this. You may want to check it out here !
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom