Butchering Rooster too soon?

KatieSwindler

Chirping
Sep 21, 2021
I’m planning to get a small flock of layers in the spring (3-4 birds). I live in Chicago which means no roosters allowed because of noise. I’m trying to make a plan for if I end up with roosters. There is a butcher shop that will butcher and process the birds for only $3, but I have no idea how big laying roosters are by the time they start crowing. Is it a reasonable plan to think I can just raise him until he starts to crow and then take him to the butcher? Will he be developed enough for it to be worth it? I haven’t picked the type of birds yet, open to advice!

I’m planning to get a small flock of layers in the spring (3-4 birds). I live in Chicago which means no roosters allowed because of noise. I’m trying to make a plan for if I end up with roosters. There is a butcher shop that will butcher and process the birds for only $3, but I have no idea how big laying roosters are by the time they start crowing. Is it a reasonable plan to think I can just raise him until he starts to crow and then take him to the butcher? Will he be developed enough for it to be worth it? I haven’t picked the type of birds yet, open to advice!
It depends on the breed of rooster, but yes. I would butcher my roosters at that size.

I think this can be hit or miss. I have had some cockerels start attempting crows as early as 3 weeks old - it really just depends on the bird. Some could potentially be at butchering size before crowing. I would recommend Bresse - the females are good layers, and they get big quickly. A heritage breed such as Delawares or Wyandottes may also work well. Just stay away from skinny birds like leghorns. I think it is worth a try. Maybe once in a while you end up with a small bird, but the chicken on your table still would have led a life far better than industry meat birds, and you know exactly how it is been fed and treated.

I live in Chicago which means no roosters allowed because of noise. I’m trying to make a plan for if I end up with roosters. There is a butcher shop that will butcher and process the birds for only $3,
@KatieSwindler where did you take them?

I live in the Chicagoland area, can I ask where you are taking them? I haven't found anyone yet

I'm by Six Flags, and I cannot find anywhere. Its rough because in Lake County, you can't cull birds unless you have a certain property size which I do not.

Back
Top Bottom