Butchering your roosters!

Pics
Interesting. I have a few in the bator right now. Doing a fertility on check on Speckled Sussex/ Cream Legbar roo. With Speckled Sussex in the mix they could be plump little boys for the freezers
What I read was that the N is dominant, and if you have NN it lowers survival of the eggs. Fertile, but the chick dies in the egg. A cross would not have the problem.

I'll have to try a slow cook recipe...recently butchered a few EE roosters at about 10 weeks. I had to many from a straight run chick purchase. I read that you should let them "relax" a few day in the fridge before eating or freezing to allow rigor to run its course. So I did, then they went on the BBQ. I have to say despite being pretty young they were pretty stringy and chewy, good flavor and the breast was not as tough, but don't think I will bbq any more roosters...Stew or soup would have been better I think.

I'll have to try a slow cook recipe...recently butchered a few EE roosters at about 10 weeks. I had to many from a straight run chick purchase. I read that you should let them "relax" a few day in the fridge before eating or freezing to allow rigor to run its course. So I did, then they went on the BBQ. I have to say despite being pretty young they were pretty stringy and chewy, good flavor and the breast was not as tough, but don't think I will bbq any more roosters...Stew or soup would have been better I think.
They aren't like store chickens that you are used to. To BBQ, try just marinating them over night with your favorite flavor and some tenderizer, with papayin (sp?) (from papaya). Or just de-bone the breast meat, like a quail, if they are small. You can par-boil them a little before you put them on the BBQ, then cook at a low temp. My gas BBQ has a temp gage -- about 325 degrees. I keep a pan of water in with the chicken so it does not dry out. BBQ leghorn was good -- did parboil so they they aren't pink inside. They were starting to crow, about the same age as yours, I think.
In the crock pot, cut up in pieces, with the other things you like in your stew, potato, carrot and onions, 8 hours on low, you come home to a tasty dinner. Store chicken just falls apart, real chicken is just right.:drool

Thanks I will give that a try next time...do you let them age 2 or 3 days? I have been raising quail for my eaters....But every spring I end up with several extra Roo's. I only keep a small flock of chickens half dozen hens 1 roo works well for keeping me and the wife in eggs...And I just always have enjoyed them as a hobby.

Thanks I will give that a try next time...do you let them age 2 or 3 days? I have been raising quail for my eaters....But every spring I end up with several extra Roo's. I only keep a small flock of chickens half dozen hens 1 roo works well for keeping me and the wife in eggs...And I just always have enjoyed them as a hobby.

I let mine rest 2-3 days in the refrigerator, and I soak them in a brine. You can find all kinds of recipes for brines online, I just use salt & water.

I just kept them in the garage frig until I wanted one, sometimes a week before I put it in the marinade. Aging is good. When the roosters get annoying, that is when I butcher. The orpingtons seemed to get along the longest, and so they were the biggest, except for the cornish-x. I just order the straight run from the hatchery, they kill the boys at day-old if nobody buys them. I believe they get a better deal my way!

Back
Top Bottom