Butchering your roosters!

Pics

BYCforlife

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Mar 18, 2017
Canada
I see a lot of people offering free roosters so often. One or 2 roosters are really easy to butcher! Or, if you don't want to butcher them, you can bring them to a butcher for fairly cheap. Their meat is not as good as broilers, but in a dish (stew, chicken pie, etc.) They taste very good! I will be butchering my extra roosters.
There are most likely not many people who want your roosters, since they most likely can get them to breed from a hatchery.
I just wanted to share my opinion, because I don't like seeing all the people desperately trying to sell their roosters.

I used to think it was very cruel... It wasn't until I got an email from someone asking if I was okay with them buying some of my roosters for butcher that I started to think differently.

I said no to him and he replied with why not?

Really I didn't have a good reason, at all. I told him they needed to live a good life!

He then wrote me saying, if you give them a good life (which I had) till they are butchered then there is nothing wrong with eating them... After that email I everything made sense for me.

I have butchered 40 some odd roosters and all have been loved and cared for the same as the other.

I have know issue butchering as long as they live good and die good.

And I would much rather butcher them mystery of then sell/give them away to someone who might not take care of them properly or butcher humanly.

Just my two cents.

I couldnt deal with the emotional part of it

Not trying to be rude but there are plenty of other forum sections to have philosophical conversations about meat eating. This is the meat bird section. It's kind of settled here. We talk about dinner. When you come here to talk about cruelty, it really looks like you're picking a fight.

We breed. We hatch. We sell. Chicks only sell fast in the spring time. This time of the year people only want egg layers. (and for dirt cheap). So most of our birds don't sell until they are an average of 3/4/5 months old. We quality feed our flock because we consume as well.
So after 4 months the birds have $ invested in them. I don't list my prices in my ads or I won't get calls.
When people call they are looking for a mature egg laying hen for $5 to $10. When I tell them $25 they freak out and say I am expensive! I reply by saying.. "Buy some chicks from me, feed them for 5 months and keep all of your feed and health care receipts. Add up the amount of money you spent. Then sell them on craigslist for 5 bucks". I tell them I use top quality feed because when no one wants to pay a fair price to the poor farmer who barely gets by, the poor farmer has 5 different kinds of bbqs on his back porch. The poor farmer who dumped all that cash out, smokes chickens, grills chickens, fries chickens.. and so on and so on.
:thumbsup

I see a lot of people offering free roosters so often. One or 2 roosters are really easy to butcher! Or, if you don't want to butcher them, you can bring them to a butcher for fairly cheap. Their meat is not as good as broilers, but in a dish (stew, chicken pie, etc.) They taste very good! I will be butchering my extra roosters.
There are most likely not many people who want your roosters, since they most likely can get them to breed from a hatchery.
I just wanted to share my opinion, because I don't like seeing all the people desperately trying to sell their roosters.
Preparation is key. Resting the meat for one. We slaughter then refrigerate for a couple days. Then brine in a vacuum bag with Rosemary twigs, fresh sage leaves and inject with homemade broth. After that Freezer store it till ready. When ready for wowing your friends at your next bbq, , slow thaw it in your refrigerator for a couple days. The meat falls off the bone like pulled pork. Rub the epidermis with olive oil to insure a crispy exterior to lock in the juicy interior..
Yum..:drool

We breed. We hatch. We sell. Chicks only sell fast in the spring time. This time of the year people only want egg layers. (and for dirt cheap). So most of our birds don't sell until they are an average of 3/4/5 months old. We quality feed our flock because we consume as well.
So after 4 months the birds have $ invested in them. I don't list my prices in my ads or I won't get calls.
When people call they are looking for a mature egg laying hen for $5 to $10. When I tell them $25 they freak out and say I am expensive! I reply by saying.. "Buy some chicks from me, feed them for 5 months and keep all of your feed and health care receipts. Add up the amount of money you spent. Then sell them on craigslist for 5 bucks". I tell them I use top quality feed because when no one wants to pay a fair price to the poor farmer who barely gets by, the poor farmer has 5 different kinds of bbqs on his back porch. The poor farmer who dumped all that cash out, smokes chickens, grills chickens, fries chickens.. and so on and so on.
:thumbsup
We currently have ten or so free ranged Roosters that nobody wants to buy. They are listed and not one person has responded. My backyard is like an illegal mexican cock fighting ring! Hubby is going to process them Saturday unless they get a call from the Governor so to speak.
Here is a wacko video my wacko hubby made awhile ago featuring a un needed problem rooster.
BTW, our birds have lived a high quality life before their severance. Compared to the chickens that everybody stuffs their faces with at their local Popeye's or KFC!

Last edited:
I can't agree more. It has always frustrated me that people can't handle butchering their own birds that they know have had a great life, but yet they're fine with buying inhumanely raised chicken at the store, that came from who knows where. I killed and butchered some roosters this spring for the first time (my family has butchered chickens for years, this was just the first time that I have done the killing myself) and it really wasn't bad at all. I used the chopping block method, and it was all over in a minute. They made some excellent chicken soup.

(not trying to offend anyone here, this is just my opinion. :) )

Back
Top Bottom