Butchering your roosters!

Pics
So last year was our first year raising and processing out our spare cockerals and roosters.

We attended Mother Earth News Fair last summer and one of the topics we covered was raising and butchering your own chickens emphasis on butchering. One of the key speakers we saw was a woman named Meredith Leigh. She was a butcher for years and taught us in her talks not only about the most humane way to process a chicken but also about the concept of ethically raised meat.

So after learning as much as we could and doing a lot of research we decided we felt the most humane, cost effective and least traumatizing for us the birds and the meat we would be getting from them, would be the killing cone and bleeding them.

We have found this to be a very kind way of doing it. The sharpness of the blade and sureness of the stroke is of upmost importance. Be sure to get under the feathers of the neck as they make the cut dull the knife and make it more difficult.

We bought large broiler/medium turkey sized shrink bags(which we love!)

I am very blessed that my DH2B does the killing although I do plan to learn in the future.

We find that without having to stress the birds by shipping them to be processed it also improves the quality of the meat. We currently have only done heritage breed dual purpose birds(both hatchery and a few heritage stock, more on that later)but we do hope to do a group of Cornish cross and maybe some freedom rangers soon.

Now to describe our process. Due to the birds we've raised we have allowed them to get between 6-18 months depending on breed, size and temperament. We have tried some brined and some not brined we rest them for three days in the fridge before freezing or using. We had one that sat for 7 days bagged in the fridge and was completely fine when we brought it out to roast.

We breed specifically for temperament and making sure they are handleable. A stressed bird is not a good eating bird. They free range with the flock until they begin to cause problems with the hens(last summer we had approximately 24 6 month old cockerals running around with the flock with no problems). Once they begin causing trouble and get out of hand for our roosters to manage they get placed into either our smaller coop and attached run or another run we have in a building. They are generally all put into runs on grass for some time before processing, unless one is a real piece of work or the pens are all full. In the future we plan to make tractors they can grow out in after getting to be a handful. The calmer ones are often let back out with the flock after they stop acting like teenagers that just saw a girl for the first time. The exercise and grass improve the flavor and I love knowing our boys get to be real chickens and have good lives. Not that the penned ones don't they get grass clippings and scraps and feed and hard boiled eggs. Eitc.

The day or sometimes two before processing they are moved to one of two runs to make them easier to catch. These are the same two runs they were probably in when they were younger. They of course have water(feed if they're in there more than a day) we like to give them a little feed right before processing as we find it helps the crop be loosened up. We grab the chosen bird and carry him around until he is nice and relaxed and many even fall asleep. Yes it's hard bc they trust us(me especially) so much but I know it's better for them than a stranger. We get a sense of pride in knowing our birds' final moments are one of calm. We stroke them and talk to them before, during and after we place them in the killing cone. We make sure they are calm in the cone. At this point I walk away and DH2B gets them used to the feel of the back of the blade. Usually two mock strokes and the third is the sharp side. The rest of the process I help with without much trouble.

We take off the head. We then scald and pluck them by hand although we have skinned a couple of them too. We have just found a plucker for rent so we are planning to do that this summer and finish a lot off faster. Hopefully in the next year we can build a plucker. We gut them and rinse them and finish off the processing. Finally we bag them and then set them to rest.

I use both my mother and grandmother's knowledge as well as an article someone shared on BYC about cooking heritage birds. You'll have to search for it as I have only been able to find it twice. It's a good read if you can find it. I might look for it later.

Now for a list of the breeds and mixes we've done.

Cuckoo Marans (hatchery)
White Rock(hatchery)
The above boys were jerks and pretty young, right around six months, one rock was a really nice size the other pretty scrawny. The Marans boy was decent.

We also at the time had a massive Silver Laced Wyandotte roo(who developed some people aggression after we had already hatched chicks from him) He later gave his life to protect a broody chick from a predator before he could be processed. However we were able to process all of his male offspring. All of the females were sold off to layer only flocks.

That SLW roo was massive at just 12 months when we lost him he was about 12 lbs. I believe he was a mix of hatchery and heritage stock. At the time we had him over EE, Orpingtons (both American buffs and English blacks), and a few other breeds. We did not get any pure slw cockerals from him. All females.

We discovered that the cross of the SLW and and the Orpingtons got huge massive and very meaty pretty quickly.
I also want to mention none of his offspring showed his aggression however the hens we breed him to were all extremely docile, gentle and tame(although only a couple were kept around for approximately 1 year- which is about when he started his)
We processed out the last one a couple months ago at just shy of 1 year. He was so big he almost didn't fit in the turkey bags we bought!

After losing that roo we got another line of SLW but they haven't been as good of producers they are more show quality. I want to find a good mix of beauty and heritage stock. We lost all of our SLW but one last summer to predators. The last girl was rehomed.

We now have more English Orpingtons and have found that an Orp crossed with EE really improves their size and meat value.

We have also processed a few pure ee boys and slw/EE mixes all good.

We now have some juvenile heritage Buckeyes that we are excited about and I'm hoping they will be a great meat breed or perhaps we will try a couple crosses for meat.

We also have and process quail.

What do you feel is the best time/age to butcher for frying chickens. Older chickens get so tough and make good for chicken noodles. I tried frying older chickens many moons ago and that ended like bricks. looked good and smelled good, couldn't bite them. I know some are bred to grow out fast and butcher young, but on regular chickens, orpingtons, barred rocks, EE's is there a particular tender age recommended? I wanted to let mine get bigger, but started butchering a few the other day. 4 months old. have 6 to go. I skinned them. I need a little set up to be able to pluck them, but hands don't want to do that very long. some Ideas on chicken plucker would be helpful. Idea on how to set up something safe outside to boil water to dunk them in. My grandma used one of those monster cast iron pots with handle over a campfire when we helped her. I don't have anything like that. some Ideas on building something safe would be great. I would love to have one of those butchering cones too. Think that would me it much easier for them and me...

Killing cones are generally inexpensive and your local feed store may carry them. If they don't you can order them online but be aware if you buy a cone that's too big too much of a smaller bird may slip through. But yes the killing cones are kinder and make for better meat too. We have also heard of people making their own from traffic cones or even large bottles of vinegar. Anything that tapers. Some people mention just rolling cardboard into a funnel.

We don't have a plucker yet but want to build one. You can find plans and such for a whizzbang(I believe that's it) plucker online. If you're mechanical you can even buy some parts and build one yourself.

We use a large canner on top of a propane turkey fryer. We used to carry nearly boiling water out before that. Which was a nightmare. Thankfully no one ever got burned.

Note: the bottom of the canner will become blackened by the soot from the propane burner.

We hang the birds after scalding from our clothesline with Paracord using a simple slip know around one leg. It works great as long as it's not a terribly windy day. It also works for skinning. After that we move to a table covered in a plastic type table cloth that has been bleached and washed very well for gutting and finishing our processing. We have been looking into a better table solution but haven't take the plunge yet.

I would love to hear what everyone else does.

Killing cones are generally inexpensive and your local feed store may carry them. If they don't you can order them online but be aware if you buy a cone that's too big too much of a smaller bird may slip through. But yes the killing cones are kinder and make for better meat too. We have also heard of people making their own from traffic cones or even large bottles of vinegar. Anything that tapers. Some people mention just rolling cardboard into a funnel.

We don't have a plucker yet but want to build one. You can find plans and such for a whizzbang(I believe that's it) plucker online. If you're mechanical you can even buy some parts and build one yourself.

We use a large canner on top of a propane turkey fryer. We used to carry nearly boiling water out before that. Which was a nightmare. Thankfully no one ever got burned.

Note: the bottom of the canner will become blackened by the soot from the propane burner.

We hang the birds after scalding from our clothesline with Paracord using a simple slip know around one leg. It works great as long as it's not a terribly windy day. It also works for skinning. After that we move to a table covered in a plastic type table cloth that has been bleached and washed very well for gutting and finishing our processing. We have been looking into a better table solution but haven't take the plunge yet.

I would love to hear what everyone else does.
Thank you. I did go watch some videos on chicken pluckers. It does sound a bit expensive to even build one of the whizzbang, and I am not really too mechanical. I think I can figure out how to do the cone though. I'll look around to see what may be useable for that. I like the Featherman plucker. It seems to cost less than putting together and finding everything to make a whizzbang.. lots of stuff to do a faster job. That is great too when you have several chickens or do it multiple times a year. Maybe Not so much when you do a few. Thank you for filling us in on some of the things you do. always a learning experience.

Well, I did some more checking, and Umm, the featherman I saw was ,well, expensive. Great for a ton of birds. just not in my budget at this time. I'll have to do by hand or something much less expensive. Maybe a table top type plucker. around $400.00. Going to have to hatch and process more birds though. hum... Been interesting to watch several of the u-tube videos on how different folks do the deed. looking around at those various chicken pluckers has been interesting. Wish everyone the best in processing your birds.

We have used the cone method. It is not always easy getting the jugular cut correct.

I like a serrated knife, let the bird calm down and stop moving around, and make sure you get in between the feathers directly on the skin. A good jerk of the knife and with a serrated blade you'll get deep enough in there to slice the jugular without lopping their whole head off or going through the spine.

Back
Top Bottom