Buthchering Question

SJM

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 17, 2007
Fairview, TN
Hello!

i was wondering when everyone butchered their chicks. I have Cornish X and I've heard their hearts can give out if they are to heavy. Also does anyone know how to dress a bird by not just cutting off the meat but cooking the whole bird? ( i hope this makes sense )

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Most people process thier birds between 6 and 8 weeks. Yes, they can have heart failure if they get too large.

Processing a bird is messy...but we enjoy the fresh meat....knowing we raised it clean and happy.

You can bake you chicken...just like you would a turkey. Stuffed or unstuffed.

Just make sure, after processing...put the bird in the fridge covered, for a few hours, before freezing. This lets the meat tenderise.
Also, when I take mine out of the freezer, I place in a large bowl in Salted water, for at least 24 hrs before I cook them.
Good luck...and let us know how it works for you.

OK - now I've heard it two ways - salt water soak before freezing and after freezing.... which is it, and why? (Getting ready for a big September "harvesting" day.)

Think I've got DH talked into getting a chest freezer - Yippee!

Cindy T.

Quote:
Sarah,
Yes, you do make sense. These sites might help:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/resource-room/meats/homeprocessingpoultry/

http://www.siteupgrade.com/poultry/butcheringpoultryfinal.html

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/livestocksystems/components/0701d.html#cutting

Cindy,
Are you sure you want a chest freezer. I have had both a chest freezer and an upright freezer and I LOVE my upright freezer. It is SO much easier to access the things I put in it. I used to find archaeological treasures from bygone eras when I would defrost my freezer and wonder why I allowed that to stay and take up precious space. It was like finding the Ice Man in my own freezer!! Now I can see what I have and easily clean the thing out. Another plus is that it has a smaller foot print and therefore takes up less space in the laundry room/hallway to the garage.

And why do to you ever soak the bird in salt water? I have never heard of this. I am wondering this like you.

Birdbrain - thanks for reminding me that I'll have to stay diligent on organizing the chest freezer! We had an upright, but the compressor gave out, and frankly, it's too big for our utility room. I'm only looking at a 9cf freezer, which has a quite managable footprint mostly because it is longer than tall, and not too far out from the wall. Time will tell if this is a good idea for us
tongue.png

But let's get to the bottom of this salt-water bath thing! Who knows when and why you soak your birds???

Thanks all!
Cindy T.

Hi everyone! I, too, would like to know when to butcher. I have 24 Buff Orpingtons that are 10 weeks old. There are 14 roosters which are bigger then the 10 hens. Thanks for any help.
smile.png

For thoes birds, wait for 14-18 weeks to get any appreciable amount of meat on them and be sure to age them at least over night. As for salt water, I would think either way would work.

Back
Top Bottom