Butler bobs laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by doxies1, Feb 25, 2012.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    I left a waterer top laing in a pen of quail and and a I started seeing BBW eggs in there. If I leave them alone will a hen set them when the clutch gets big enough? This is in a pen of Coturnix and BBW's.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Are these Cots and Bobs in the same pen together? It is never advised to mix different species of quail, especially with Bobwhites as they are a fairly aggressive species of quail.

As far as hens setting on eggs, it is very unlikely that a Bobwhite hen will set on her eggs. Not that it couldn't happen, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Most captive quail have lost that brooding tendency for many reasons. [​IMG]

3. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    I know that mix is not recomended but I'm doing it and have not had a single problem. Just lucky I guess!

4. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried it once too, threw some bobwhites in with my coturnix just because i didn't have any room for them. They kept to themselves and didn't intermingle much but there wasn't any confrontations that i could see. They did have a lot of room per bird, though. It was something like 5 bobs and 20 coturnix in a 30 square foot pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by