Butler bobs still laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by doxies1, Dec 7, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    My butler bobs have shown no sign of slowing laying. When should they stop laying? I really don't care to keep hatching more through the winter . It's a pain getting them to a heater free stage in the winter, but I guess if they keep laying I'll keep hatching. At that rate even though I didn't have many to start with, I'll have a pen full soon. I guess I'll start eating the ones I have, and by spring the youngsters will be laying. They are in a pen with a bunch of coturinx that I keep for eggs. Any thoughts or enlightenment from experienced quail breeders is appreciated

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is it still warm where you are, and are they receiving more light than you know about? Even a bright street light can add light to their environment. Under normal conditions, I wouldn't think they would be laying by now. Mine stopped in October.

3. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Two crow Do you have butler If you do give me a holler
    Bill

4. doxies1

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    We have had spells of cold and even an early snow, but generally it's been a warmer than normal fall. The Butlers are in with my cotrunix and they are getting extra light to keep them laying, [ I'm trading eggs for accupuncture]. We'll likely get in the teens over the weekend. We'll see if that stops them. I just put another forty eggs in the bator. seem like I'm getting about three hatch a day from the one I've been putting in on a rolling basis. By spring maybe I'll have enough birds to have saleable numbers of eggs.

5. doxies1

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    That brings up the question, given a little light and avalibilty to heat , ( a hundred watt bulb in a brooder box type box), How long will they lay?

6. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    you can "make" them lay year round, fertility drops but they will still lay the egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by