Butler Bobwhite

Bill, gorgeous birds, and well done pics!
smile.png

Well went and got 26 of them today. Two escaped though will switching them from the transport cage to their new temporary home. Going to keep the eleven hens I got with four of the best looking males. Going to dress the other males either tomorrow or thursday.

Quote:
I WOULD WAIT.... THEY HAVE A TENDANCY TO DO BEST IN PAIRS.... OFTEN TIMES THEY WONT TOLERATE COLONY HOUSING, ESPECIALLY DURING BREEDING SEASON

I've had good success with regular bobs in colonies. And in the quail breeding pens, were you pair a male with two or three hens. Are the Butlers different?

LETS JUST SAY THESE GUYS WATCHED THE MOVIE "FIGHT CLUB".... AND LIKED IT... ALOT. WHEN I HAD GG'S I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS RUNNING COLONIES, BUT THESE BUTLERS ARE PRETTY QUICK TEMPERED AND ILL MANNERED IN COMPARISON... HENS ARE EVIL WENCHES! DONT LIKE TO SHARE. DO NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS.

OH YEAH, BE CAREFUL.... THEY BITE MORE THAN EACH OTHER... YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT A COMIN' TO JESUS MEETIN' WAIT TIL 1 LATCHES ON TO YOU REAL GOOD.. LIKE A SNAPPING TURTLE WITH A FEATHER COAT. I'M NOT TALKIN ABOUT THAT LIL PANSY "PUFF UP AND PECK" STUFF LIKE COTS DO... NO SIR... I MEAN BITE LIKE A PITBULL WITH A LONG HISTORY OF MENTAL ILLNESS BITE! THEY CAN AND WILL TAKE CHUNKS OUT IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL... MOST OF MY BIRDS DO NOT SPAZ OUT AND THRASH ABOUT IN THE PENS... NO SIR.... THEY WATCH AND WAIT FOR IT... AND WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT "CRUNCH!" THEN THE HOLLARING OF OBSCENITIES STARTS AT A RATHER HIGH DECIBLE.... YESSIR I HAVE EDUCATED KIDS OF NEIGHBORS THAT LIVE ALMOST A MILE AWAY
roll.png

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
JJ, your descriptions made me spit my coffee when started laughing so much! Bad thing is I can really visualize that. Neighbor kids around here normally get the language lessons when I hit my thumb with a hammer....can only imagine what it's like to have little scissor sharp beaks take a chunk out of ya.

Fat Daddy, you got some really great looking birds!

Quote:
Thanks Bill, JJ aint "Green'n" ya here... I run Bits on the birds that "have issues"... about 2\\3's.... If I find neked birds in a pen, everyone with full feathers gets a bit. It makes ladies and gent out of them for the most part. Stops the feather pull'n and scalp lift'n with a quickness. They can still pinch ya like your granny did thou....

Hardest part is catch'n the bird.... lot less traumatic than give'n a hog a ring.... The bird naturally dont like it much. But they eat and drink just fine. I put them in loose enough that about 1\\2 of them lose their jewelery in a month or so. It breaks the cycle of cannibalism, which the peck'n and feather pull'n really is the first stage of... And some have no problem after that, so far anyway. I always have some around. Makes'em look like little punk rockers with a nose ring too, but I'm ok with that!

Back
Top Bottom