butt joints

Ravishaw

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
Ok keep it clean...
lau.gif

My question is for my perches. I used some little metal doodad to make a perch and under the weight of some real fat chickens it's starting to bend.

I want to take a 2x6 and attach it to the stud in my coop to take the place of this doodad, and I have the crosscut saw to make the 45 degree cut, but how do I attach it to the stud? A 2x6 is way to long to shoot a nail through the meaty part of the edge and I want to keep the face of the boards towards the sides of the joint. I could glue it, but how do I hold it? I'm afraid of shooting a nail too close to the end of the board because I'll just blow off the edge of the board and there'll be nothing left to hold the support.

So if any really savvy wood worker would give me a suggestion I'd love, love, love it.

Can you shoot the 2 x 6 to the side of the stud? I made braces for my roosts w/ 2 pieces of lumber in a triangle shape to the wall. The top pc is whatever distance you want to be from the wall, turned 1 1/2" edge up & shot to the side of the stud; the support, also 1 1/2" side up (w/ your 45 degree angle against the siding) is shot to the side of the studs w/ maybe 3 nails. I notched the top board w/ a circular saw and dropped a decent size branch into it or you could attach the 2 x 4 laid flat. If you've got a very long roost you made need several braces. I have several umm "fat bottom girls" and a rooster that's close to 10 #'s. It holds them.

Both of those are good suggestions. I'm going to go with the pocket hole because I know I'll use that in other projects.

Back
Top Bottom