Buttercup owners? Please report for flock advice duty?

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I bought a pair of supposed Buttercup pullets at about a week old. I've had them for a couple more and find one hanging out constantly with a bantam feathered leg I think may be a Pekin roo.

Is there a difference in the tail posture of Buttercup roos vs. pullets early on? Anyone with another Mediterranean breed able to help on this? I fear the gender identification may have been amiss.

Ginger and Marianne have very different personalities and tail posture, and I suspect Marianne may be actually be a Gilligan...

Here's Marianne:
14596_babies032209_039.jpg

Her tail is ALWAYS that high or higher, and she does foot/spur sparring CONSTANTLY with my suspected Cochin Banty roo. Those two were the first to escape the brooder, too.

Here's Ginger, and her tail is always that posture, even when she's on "Perky alert."

14596_babies032209_040.jpg

You can easily see who is whom in group photos by tail alone. Don't mind the Labradork in the background...

14596_babies032209_055.jpg

14596_babies032209_053.jpg

Thanks for your help! I have to rehome quick or risk emotional ruin if this is a valid concern at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I hadn't thought of the tail! I was thinking mine is a roo, because the comb is pretty big for such a little chick! But mine always has its tail down also. I hope someone else knows!! Maybe I have a girl?
fl.gif

the cockerel's combs will be MUCH larger and pronounced than the pullets as they start feathering out.

can we see a pic of their heads?

i will go shoot a pic of a pullet and a cockerel in the meantime for you....

brb...

Really??? How early? Mine are less than a month old, so I'm not sure if there's much expectation of comb difference yet...

Here are their combs:

Ginger:

14596_babies032209_071.jpg

Marianne:

14596_babies032209_069.jpg

I can barely see their combs, much less distinguish a difference.

I would be delighted to know they had been sexed correctly.

Thanks, Miss_Jayne!

w00t!!!!

I'm so happy to see that!! But I've heard rumors about the comb size in your area....I don't know if I ought to trust...nevermind! Going with the good news and blowing off any other doubts!!!

Thanks, Miss_Jayne!!

**Edited, because, like a dolt, I misspelled her name!!

So then the tail has nothing to do with it? My chick is about 3-4 weeks old, and its comb is probably twice as big as that one in your pic miss_jayne! I don't have a current pic, and my batteries are dead in my camera, but I'm pretty sure mine is a boy. Oh well!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom