Button Quail and Bantams, can they live together?

AuberyMirkwood

Songster
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Clovis NM
This is probably a really dumb button quail question but could button quail and bantam chickens possibly live together? I have a large entirely enclosed run in which I have my small bantam flock. The netting it 1", it's on the ground, no predator problems so far, they have full access to an enclosed house on one end.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Anyway I'd say no, unless the quail have a lot of "hidey places" otherwise they are going to get picked on and they are so small that it wont take much to hurt or kill them. And even with the hidey places I would count on accidents.

No...
This would not be a good mix...

First of all the size difference , the buttons could end up hurt.
Second... Buttons cannot take cold temps. I believe it's that they cannot take anything below 40 ,.
Quail and Chickens have different diets and you cannot be sure they are getting what they need.
and...
There are many disease's that chickens can pass on to quail. If you do a search on housing Chickens with Quail here at BYC you will find many posts that advise against it.

X2
First- Button Quail must be kept at 50+ degrees all year round.
Second- They are small and would most likely be picked on by the banties.
Third- Gamebirds (quail, pheasant, partridge, grouse, etc.) can catch a disease called coryza, it is deadly to gamebirds, chickens oftem carry no signs of sickness that is transfered to quail.

i had one texas A & M quail and one white bantam hen and lived together great. i put 10 cotournix quail in with them and the chicken and A & M pecked the cotournix relentlessly. it was a pretty big cage too. i had to seperate them but kept the chicken and A & M together in a cage.

I beg to differ. I had a single button quail hatch and had 30 day old cochin banties mailed the same day. they were brooded together and the little quail snuggles under the pigpile of cochins to keep extra warm. they love him and watch over him lol!!! its possible

I would not house Cbbq or chicken together as adults. They can withstand different temperatures for once and the cbbq can be trampled very easily. One squish in the wrong place and you can have a sterile bird too, or paralyzed even. These birds are fragile! They should be treated very like like finches, no touchy, just look at the colors.

Although cbbq are disease resistant for the most part, if they get sick, that's it; they do not take it well and when you actually see symptoms they are on their death bed. I am not trying to be mean, just saying how it is and as a breeder and educator of quail. Please take my advise kindly.

Thank you everyone for your answers! That is what I figured but I thought I'd ask people with experience and not just "books". Can anyone recommend a good book or website for a good source for info on button quail? Is there a good thread here?

Back
Top Bottom