Button Quail Beginner Questions

seespotbitejane

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 13, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
Hello, I have kept chickens and finches in the past but I do not have any birds right now. I would like to get a pair of button quail. They'd be apartment pets (I will not be hatching any chicks) and I'd like to build an elaborate habitat for them of the kind some people make for hamsters with lots of different substrate and hides and live plants.

But obviously I want to make sure evening I'm using is safe for them.

I know pine is a good substrate for them but what about aspen? When I've Googled it I've seen that's its safe to use as a parrot perch but that doesn't necessarily translate. I assume straw is safe but what about coconut fiber? Or a wood/paper based pellet? I saw that soil could be a bad substrate because it can harbor pests/maybe mold? Would reptile moss have the same issue?

Also have some questions about plants. I was thinking about getting some small shallow trays from the dollar store or somewhere that I could plant cat grass and/millet in and rotate them in one at a time (I assume the birds will destroy them pretty quickly? I'm imagining their behavior like tiny chicken) but I wanted to have some other plants that stay there full time. It looks like spider plants are good. I also saw that orchids are bird safe? Is that accurate? I know they're toxic to dogs and cats so I have them in my head as bad for pets but if they're OK I might put one in just to take up some vertical space. I also thought maybe some herbs would be good? Mint and thyme are both super hardy but would it be bad for the birds to have constant access to them?

Woo. That's enough questions for now I think! Thanks for reading all this. I appreciate the help.

Hello, I have kept chickens and finches in the past but I do not have any birds right now. I would like to get a pair of button quail. They'd be apartment pets (I will not be hatching any chicks) and I'd like to build an elaborate habitat for them of the kind some people make for hamsters with lots of different substrate and hides and live plants.

But obviously I want to make sure evening I'm using is safe for them.

I know pine is a good substrate for them but what about aspen? When I've Googled it I've seen that's its safe to use as a parrot perch but that doesn't necessarily translate. I assume straw is safe but what about coconut fiber? Or a wood/paper based pellet? I saw that soil could be a bad substrate because it can harbor pests/maybe mold? Would reptile moss have the same issue?

Also have some questions about plants. I was thinking about getting some small shallow trays from the dollar store or somewhere that I could plant cat grass and/millet in and rotate them in one at a time (I assume the birds will destroy them pretty quickly? I'm imagining their behavior like tiny chicken) but I wanted to have some other plants that stay there full time. It looks like spider plants are good. I also saw that orchids are bird safe? Is that accurate? I know they're toxic to dogs and cats so I have them in my head as bad for pets but if they're OK I might put one in just to take up some vertical space. I also thought maybe some herbs would be good? Mint and thyme are both super hardy but would it be bad for the birds to have constant access to them?

Woo. That's enough questions for now I think! Thanks for reading all this. I appreciate the help.
@ButtonquailGirl14

I use aspen shavings, and nothing has happened to them. So I am pretty sure it is safe, but I don't use a lot at a time (I don't cover the entire floor), so to be on the safe side, get pine shavings.

And for the plants, yes, the quails would destroy the grass unless the grass is firmly rooted in the soil. I'm not sure about the orchids, but you could give them fake plants and they would be equally as happy. Maybe some sticks and twigs too.

Awesome idea! I would recommend coconut fiber as bedding, I recently switched, and I’m loving it! It looks great, and is much less likely to mold! It also doesn’t have any smell, and illuminates odors! As far as plants, mine love it when I sprout some millet, or give them an organic lemon grass tub(sold for juicing) orchids are awesome, just make sure it in a place where they won’t be inclined to tear it up, or dig it up... they will almost instantly kill spider plants... One thing I found that works is to use containers with lids, cut out a space for the plant, and bury it so they can’t dig up the plants roots...Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom