Button Quail Bum Issues

Alaska & Dakota

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2018
My button quail has recently been making this small sneezing sound every once in a while. We are unsure of how old he is, but we know he is a male. I’ve picked him up and looked him over and I found that his behind looks very off. The skin is rough and bare and his anus is inflamed and protruding. Does anyone know what this is?? I’m getting worried. He also seems to be sleeping a lot more than usual.

Attachments

• 437336B5-39F4-4B06-9A4A-A573CD6356E1.jpeg
    437336B5-39F4-4B06-9A4A-A573CD6356E1.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 5CB29BEC-DCF2-44CB-8B3B-229886FA21CD.jpeg
    5CB29BEC-DCF2-44CB-8B3B-229886FA21CD.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 101
The beak is misshapen and overgrown as well. How do you know he is a he? From the pictures he is more likely to be a girl, as far as I can tell.
How long have you had it? How long has it been like this? What do you feed it? What kind of bedding is it on? Does it live alone?
It's hard do tell from the pictures, but in case it is female you should check it for signs of being egg bound. Feel around the vent for anything egg shaped. If you find anything, search this for 'egg bound quail' to find guidelines of what to do. If you don't feel anything egg shaped, I guess the most likely cause for its appearance is some kind of gut infection, which should probably be treated with antibiotics. For starters you could try to mix a little apple cider vinegar into its water. I don't remember the correct dose (you can find that on this forum as well), but you shouldn't be able to taste the ACV.
Make sure you keep the water very clean, change it often, and keep the bedding very clean as well.

The beak is misshapen and overgrown as well. How do you know he is a he? From the pictures he is more likely to be a girl, as far as I can tell.
How long have you had it? How long has it been like this? What do you feed it? What kind of bedding is it on? Does it live alone?
It's hard do tell from the pictures, but in case it is female you should check it for signs of being egg bound. Feel around the vent for anything egg shaped. If you find anything, search this for 'egg bound quail' to find guidelines of what to do. If you don't feel anything egg shaped, I guess the most likely cause for its appearance is some kind of gut infection, which should probably be treated with antibiotics. For starters you could try to mix a little apple cider vinegar into its water. I don't remember the correct dose (you can find that on this forum as well), but you shouldn't be able to taste the ACV.
Make sure you keep the water very clean, change it often, and keep the bedding very clean as well.[/QUO
Make sure you keep the water very clean, change it often, and keep the bedding very clean as well.
He broke his beak the night we got him (which was about two months ago) after he had a spook in his cage and flew into the wall. Everyone I asked told me it would be fine to grow out and that’s just how it grew. He is still able to eat just fine. We know he is a boy because we’ve seen him mate with his buddy a few times and one of the eggs hatched in the incubator. He’s had the inflammation for about a week but the skin only just got really bad yesterday. Right now, he lives on paper towel with his buddy but we are working on switching them to chips.

Ouch! That looks like it hurts! @DK newbie asked some important questions that will help with pinpointing likely causes. What do you normally feed your quail? Just in case there is a gender mix up (females can also "mate" their companions), have you tried palpating the birds abdomen to check for an egg? Also a profile pic of your bird standing up can be helpful.

I am going to call some additional quail people who may have ideas or be able to help you identify what is going on for your little one.
@TwoCrows @JaeG @007Sean

I'll assume he looks like a girl because of the lack of feathers then ^^
So no egg binding. Does his buddy have any symptoms?
Observe them closely to make sure the other one doesn't peck him - sometimes they just can't resist anything red, so his vent might be very tempting.
As the problem seems to be internal I think the only thing you can do for him is keeping him warm and happy and add good stuff (including antibiotics) to his feed/water - but what do you feed him?

I agree with @DK newbie I would follow his recommendations.:old Definitely has "scissor beak" but it appears that hasn't affected/prevented it from feeding. I would also give her (at least it looks female to me) a warm Epsom salt bath, would give some relief to the irritated area. I don't see any sign of prolapse in the pics you provided but that could be that it was scared to death and it was retracted. :confused: it also appears it's belly feathers are wet...check to see that the bedding isn't wet, that could lead to bacteria growth which can cause multiple problems. HTH

I agree with @DK newbie I would follow his recommendations.:old Definitely has "scissor beak" but it appears that hasn't affected/prevented it from feeding. I would also give her (at least it looks female to me) a warm Epsom salt bath, would give some relief to the irritated area. I don't see any sign of prolapse in the pics you provided but that could be that it was scared to death and it was retracted. :confused: it also appears it's belly feathers are wet...check to see that the bedding isn't wet, that could lead to bacteria growth which can cause multiple problems. HTH
His (or her??) bedding is dry, it’s just that at the time I was chasing him around to try and catch him and he took a fall in his water bowl. Does the bath need to be a continuous routine or do I just do it once?

Observe them closely to make sure the other one doesn't peck him - sometimes they just can't resist anything red, so his vent might be very tempting.
As the problem seems to be internal I think the only thing you can do for him is keeping him warm and happy and add good stuff (including antibiotics) to his feed/water - but what do you feed him?
I feed him this food that I buy from a local pet store (file attached)...I am only now realizing I should have investigated further into what it actually was...”quail food” isnt exactly informational, but they said it would supply them with the nutrients they need and it has been working fine since. Later on, we also went in to buy some seed for them and read somewhere that they can do well with finch seed since it has all the same seeds from other mixes they like, minus the big seeds they can’t eat. The bin for the quail food says antibiotic free, and I’m being told he needs antibiotics so should I be looking for food with antibiotics? Or does he need a specific kind of antibiotic? If so, what kind?

Also I’m very confused with this whole “he’s a boy, she’s a girl” situation because we put 6 of the (definite) females eggs in an incubator after we saw the two mate and 3 of them hatched. This means he’s a dude, right? Or am I missing something?

Ouch! That looks like it hurts! @DK newbie asked some important questions that will help with pinpointing likely causes. What do you normally feed your quail? Just in case there is a gender mix up (females can also "mate" their companions), have you tried palpating the birds abdomen to check for an egg? Also a profile pic of your bird standing up can be helpful.

I am going to call some additional quail people who may have ideas or be able to help you identify what is going on for your little one.
@TwoCrows @JaeG @007Sean
There seems to be no egg in there.. it also might help tell he’s a guy because one of the females eggs did hatch in the incubator...I’m sorry I should have meantioned that, my bad haha. here is some pictures of him standing up.

Attachments

• F54F26FF-EDCD-409E-B93D-C0CB47103450.jpeg
    F54F26FF-EDCD-409E-B93D-C0CB47103450.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 83
  • F93D3198-2887-464A-905F-B9A7698AB87D.jpeg
    F93D3198-2887-464A-905F-B9A7698AB87D.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 5DF0EDAF-4B11-4F5F-A946-6932B085B993.jpeg
    5DF0EDAF-4B11-4F5F-A946-6932B085B993.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 075FE22B-431A-4CE6-B473-61DC3702B1CA.jpeg
    075FE22B-431A-4CE6-B473-61DC3702B1CA.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 52

Attachments

• A52C7548-EA01-4639-8717-F29140782E10.jpeg
    A52C7548-EA01-4639-8717-F29140782E10.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 73

Back
Top Bottom